• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7800GT by BFG hit a brick wall.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MmCheeto

Hello.

I am doing alot of tweeking so today was the day for my videocard. I am trying to OC via RivaTuner and it seams that it will not pass 461core and 1202Mem. This is equiped with a DD watercool block so Im pritty sure temp isnt an issue. Now at this point I normally start to assume things but research is best. I found alot of people with the same card as me blowing by thoes stats. My Target is 550core 1300mem. That seams to be about peak for anyone with this same card.... Is there smething im missing? Some tweek I missed? Could this be a strike of a brain fart? Do tell..... Thanks

I will be getting my Gainward 7800Gt tomorrow or Friday. I am also watercooling and I will let you know how far I can get with it. I also read that lot of people could not get pass 465 core. Maybe Nvidia also put a limit how far we can OC the Gt's???

MeJohnM

mejohnm said:
I will be getting my Gainward 7800Gt tomorrow or Friday. I am also watercooling and I will let you know how far I can get with it. I also read that lot of people could not get pass 465 core. Maybe Nvidia also put a limit how far we can OC the Gt's???

MeJohnM

Hard to tell. I have looked close at this thread http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=137421&highlight=7800gt . Seams alot of folks with cards ike ours breaking the bottleneck. I suspect It may have something to do with content in here http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=364465 . Althought I know next to nothing about videocards I guess today is th day to learn as well lol :shrug: . Oh well Search button here I come :bang head

If your hoping to squeeze every little bit of speed out of your 7800GT your gonna need a volt mod. I've got a volt mod on mine with the core running at 1.7v to reach my max oc of 550(590 in 3d mode). I guess I should put that in my sig. My memory is running 2.22v with ramsinks, I can actually run a little higher on the memory but they seem to run better at 1300mhz.

LoneWolf121188 said:
I read the thread title really quickly and saw "7800GT BFG hit by a brick wall" :D . I definetly did a double take there :D :D .

What are your temps anyway?

lol :santa:

So far temps have not gone over 40c under as much stress as I can put on it. Here is a little update sence I have been working on it all day.

Core 500
Mem 1200

Added little over 1505 points to my 3Dmark05Score today for a total of 7886. I guess thats not to bad sence im not using a volt mod like mysterfix suggested. Although I cant help myself to try that wonderfull suggestion. Thanks :cool:

mysterfix said:
This is the mod I used at VR Zone and this thread was also very helpful.

Oh wow thats a physical mod.... No problem. Gonna take me a few days to do it but ill keep ya posted on the change.

A quick question though.. Whats your opinion on using a DD Maze4 Cooling block with this? Im really worried about the Ram. I know the GPU makes most of the heat but performing a mod like this must push the ram past the point of heatsinks right? Sence most of my rig is water cooled there is only moderate airflow so that would be my only worry with this. :shrug:

Last edited:
MmCheeto said:
Oh wow thats a physical mod.... No problem. Gonna take me a few days to do it but ill keep ya posted on the change.

A quick question though.. Whats your opinion on using a DD Maze4 Cooling block with this? Im really worried about the Ram. I know the GPU makes most of the heat but performing a mod like this must push the ram past the point of heatsinks right? Sence most of my rig is water cooled there is only moderate airflow so that would be my only worry with this. :shrug:
I have the same gpu block as you and some ramsinks and under load my sinks are warm to the touch. My temp gun reads 35º-36ºc under load on the memory. As long as you don't exceed the recommended voltage you should be fine.

I got my 7800Gt today. I love Gainward, it is already OC 491Core and 1155Mem. I just ran 3DMark05 and got 7827. My system is also watercooled. I need to get the new beta drivers from Nvidia cause I am running a dual Opteron and like to see if that will help me break the 8k scores. I will download RivaTuner and see if I can push more.

MeJohnM

Nice OC mejohnm, have you tried pushing your memory a little more? Most GT's can hit 1200mhz pretty easy and that will probably put you over the 8k mark.

Good Luck

mejohnm said:
I got my 7800Gt today. I love Gainward, it is already OC 491Core and 1155Mem. I just ran 3DMark05 and got 7827. My system is also watercooled. I need to get the new beta drivers from Nvidia cause I am running a dual Opteron and like to see if that will help me break the 8k scores. I will download RivaTuner and see if I can push more.

MeJohnM

Outstanding work. Ya know I was thinking about it and. Would some of the settings other than default on the drivers have a hige impact on the score you get like.... Max Fram rates to render ahead (Currently set to 4). Or anything else some to mind?

Broke 8k with 8023. Core is at 494 and Mem at 1.25. Anything higher I have articfacts or the computer reboots. Maybe I can relax core and up mem or other way around and see what kind of scores I can get. I and still using 77.77 drivers. I am getting into this OC. Now it is time to OC my Opterons... hehe

MeJohnM

mejohnm said:
Broke 8k with 8023. Core is at 494 and Mem at 1.25. Anything higher I have articfacts or the computer reboots. Maybe I can relax core and up mem or other way around and see what kind of scores I can get. I and still using 77.77 drivers. I am getting into this OC. Now it is time to OC my Opterons... hehe

MeJohnM

LOL wow.... Maby that could be an issue for me . Im using 78 drivers on mine. All I can tell you Mejohnm is im jelous :mad: lol.

mejohnm said:

MeJohnM
Where did you get it? Last I heard was that Gainward was ceasing to prduce video cards. I hope I'm wrong because they sure look like better cards since they moved operations from Asia to the EU.

Back