• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wiss Tin Snips (have you used them?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

what

Hello,

I'm going to be getting a pair of Wiss snips tomorrow. I'm getting the red pair because I'm right handed.

My question is for those of you who have used Wiss snips or perhaps another quality brand. I know that cheap snips are mostly garbage and don't do the job too well. Will the Wiss snips bend/warp the steel much/any? I'm guessing the steel will be 19 gauge more or less. I know the Wiss snips are rated for a max of 18 gauge but I still wanted to get some first hand accounts.

I'll be cutting a window for my SLK3000B Antec.

Thanks,

Last edited:
i think i have a pair of wiss tin snips i have 2 differnt kinds one that just looks like a big pair of sisors with a red handle the other ones a bit more advance i think there a good buy if your on a budget but they aint gonna cut clean if you have a table grinder it would be perfect

demortey@gmail. said:
right/left doesnt go by the hand you use it in, its for if you want to cut around a curve (the actual cutters have a slight curve to them). i have a pair that cuts right (red i think) and a pair that cuts straight (yellow i think), but they do a crappy job. get a nibbler...they're way way better.

http://www.directron.com/nibbletool.html

I understand that they do not go by hand, what I meant was that the Red pair cuts left and straight. Since I'm right handed it is easier for me to cut going left.

I thought about getting that exact pair of nibblers but I read on a forum that they really bend the metal and generally suck (cheap kind, I'm sure the expensive ones are way better). I saw a pic from a guy that used one to cut a hole, it was pretty bad.

I'm bull-headed, so I'm going to the lowes today to get the Red pair. It's only 13 bucks a pair so it's worth a shot. I'll post back with some pics either on an old case I have here around the house or when I get my Antec in. After paying for so many dremel wheels over the years, it's definately worth a shot.

Last edited:
demortey@gmail. said:
right/left doesnt go by the hand you use it in, its for if you want to cut around a curve (the actual cutters have a slight curve to them). i have a pair that cuts right (red i think) and a pair that cuts straight (yellow i think), but they do a crappy job. get a nibbler...they're way way better.

http://www.directron.com/nibbletool.html

those look pretty good if they work

BluntStatic said:
those look pretty good if they work

They DO work, but if you search the forums you will find multiple complaints about them. Mostly just hand hurting complaints and the fact that it is a slow go as well as jagged edges. A file or small wheel grinder should take care of that. I've also read multiple posts where people complained about the nibblers getting dull after just a few uses.

:

I have those Red M-1R's in my possession now. I did a fairly straight sample cut on an old case of mine and it went through there like butter (cut about an inch or so). It didn't leave any bends or anything. Next thing I need to see is how it does when cutting a circle. That might not be until tuesday though.

> " Wiss Tin Snips (have you used them?) "<

Yes, absolutely! Hate to think how many hours I used them when I was employed
as a sheet metal mechanic.

Snips are way under utilized in modding IMO. Many are scared away since
they do require some hand strength. And they don't know how to use them properly.

Whatever you do don't fall into the typical traps. Meaning ... resist the urge
to twist the blades - keep them at 90 degrees from the work. Otherwise
you will warp the blades making them useless. Or at the least make cutting
very much harder. Which is why many are turned off - using f-ed up snips.

And never snip to the very tips (closed) unless you are finished with your cut.
Unless you want a dimple.

> " I understand that they do not go by hand, what I meant was that the Red pair cuts left and straight. Since I'm right handed it is easier for me to cut going left. " <

The thing is the jaws are situated differently. When you get into cutting tight
curves & right angles you'll discover pretty quick how important that is. ;)

Last edited:
those particulr nibblers do actually bend the metal, and there designed by someone retarded, because they put you in the most awkward position. my nibblers (old, but good) are a little different, but i havent been able to find them anywhere on the net...i would take a pic but my digicam doesnt want to turn on

Believe me, I'd love to have both pairs! I've never met a tool I didn't like. However, I'm on a bit of a budget this go round. I WILL likely get the green ones in time. Afterall, Christmas is right around the corner. Heheheh..... :D

One can never have too many tools!

Back