• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the problem with shared IRQ's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d3v

I have 6 devices sharing IRQ 9 and I have no problems or noticable performance drops from when I used to have have my hardware on their own individual IRQ.

I don't know how 6 devices are sharing IRQ 9 since I dont recall changing them but anyway, does anyone know the problem of devices sharing IRQ's cos I dont see any.

Also why cant I get my IRQ's properly.

In BIOS, I cant configure it so each device gets its own dependant IRQ. For example if I change the IRQ my video card is on, another device will automaticly change to that IRQ... sometimes 3 or 4 will do it. Why?

Thanks,.

In the days of Windows 95 and 98 shared IRQ's meant conflicts and problems. That is not the case anymore with XP. There are more IRQ's available and it manages them without conflicts for the most part.
Side note.....I remember playing shuffle the deck with pci cards trying to get plug and pray to get them in IRQ's that did not conflict. One time I did it so much that I forgot the computer was still on and proceeded to unplug a pci card. EEK! I'm glad those days are over.

Back