• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

completeclicks

Registered
I am looking to spend about $50-$65 on a new video card for my computer. I currently have an All-In-Wonder 7500 which I have been fairly satisfied with. But now I want to upgrade to a 128MB card, but I don't really need the TV-Tuner any more.

I am looking at the Asus ATI A9550GE/TD/128 ($64.99) and the Asus ATI 9550TD128 ($57.99). Other than price, can anyone tell me the difference in these two cards? The both seem to have the same stats a first glance, but I have to assume that there is something justifying the ZipZoomFly.com price difference between the two cards.

Also, I am not opposed to a Nvidia card, if you know one that would be the same price range as these, but would be a better card, PLEASE TELL ME.

My current system is:
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (OC'd to 3200+)
512MB PC3200 DDR RAM

I think the difference is that the GE has 128 bit memory. Get that one.

EDIT: oh and active cooling

Last edited:
They both have active cooling, but the 128 bit instead of 64 bit sounds good. I think I'll pay the slight bit more and get the GE.

I am still open to Nvidia suggestions though.

completeclicks said:
They both have active cooling, but the 128 bit instead of 64 bit sounds good. I think I'll pay the slight bit more and get the GE.

I am still open to Nvidia suggestions though.

Not according to the Asus site, however it is possible I am wrong. On the Asus site the non-128 bit memory has just a heatsink on it.

I have friends running both the 9600 and the 9550, they OC like champs on stock.

ut it generally does nothing. After Ocing a 9600pro past XT speeds, i found that it gave my friend only a few more points in 3dmark and not many more frame rates

Well, it is quite possible that the pictures they used on ZipZoomFly.com could be wrong, but both show heatsinks with fans. Either way, I think I'll go with the GE, unless of coarse someone thinks there's a better Nvidia.

I plan on building a new 64 bit system around Christmas, and I think I am going to use Dual GeForce 6600GT's on a DFI LanParty board with Patriot ExtraBlack Dual Channel Memory. Sound good?

completeclicks said:
Well, it is quite possible that the pictures they used on ZipZoomFly.com could be wrong, but both show heatsinks with fans. Either way, I think I'll go with the GE, unless of coarse someone thinks there's a better Nvidia.

I plan on building a new 64 bit system around Christmas, and I think I am going to use Dual GeForce 6600GT's on a DFI LanParty board with Patriot ExtraBlack Dual Channel Memory. Sound good?

Shiny. Sounds good to me. And btw, about suggesting NV cards, I have a 5700 which is apparently the equivalent to the 9600 xt. I also have a 9600 xt. I can tell you that the 9600 is better :). Just go with this little gem you picked till December.

Back