• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X800xl vs x850xt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chickenfeed

Registered
I currently have a x800xl agp. I am wondering wether it is worth it to exchange it for a x850xt. I have a warrenty on this card and may exchange it for the x850xt for a 50 dollar canadian diff. I will be stciking with either card most likely until the next series after the r520s come out. Will the difference be worth the 50? I will be eventually getting a 3800x2 but i am upgrading my current pc with a 2800+ 64bit sempron e6 steping 90nm s754 and ocing to 2.6ghz. Accoring to a few benchmark they ocd a 2.4c to 3.2 and it run the x850 fine. thz

Personally, for that much of a price difference I would do it. I think x850xt's are significantly faster than x800xl's

For $50 CAD, Id say go for it.

The x800xl is probally the worst x800 offering out there.

{PMS}fishy said:
For $50 CAD, Id say go for it.

The x800xl is probally the worst x800 offering out there.

Back off pal :p

I really with I woulda known that pro's were better when I purchased this card. Oh well it's been good to me so far, no complaints.

both cards are good...... my suggestion is spend the extra $50 on the increased performance..... what's the difference? if you overclock both on air you're looking at about 50+Mhz on the memory and about 120+Mhz on the core.... the biggest difference is the core obviously as the R430 (I think that's what my core is) is a lousy overclocker.

Yeah thats what i thought. And the msrp on the pro is much more then the x800xl due to the 4 locked pipe lines so its basically still a x800xt. And the x800xl doesnt suck @ stock. IT compares to the 6800gt neck and neck more or less in all games excluding nvidias precious doom 3. Back to the x850xt since i paied 400 for my x800xl when i bought it they have to exchanged it for what i paied for. My local future shop isnt bad with these things ive done it 4 times already lol. exhanged my broken aiw9600xt a year ago for a 9800 aiw then that to the x800xl in march and it blew from my bad psu then i got it replaced with another one a week ago but since i have a new psu i should be ok. Tell me if im wrong but should my enermax noisetaker 420watt adequitely power a x850xt and
my soon to have 2800+ 64bit semp hopefully ocd to 2.5-2.6ghz. From what ive read even ocd that cpu will use simlar wattage to my 2.6 p4 at stock. And yes the x850 should oc much more on stock. I can only get this to 420 and from what ive read thtas the most youll get safely on stock. The x850 on the other hand can get a 30hz boost easily enough but ive hread the mem gives artifacts after you raise it even 5-10hz. I have one more question about the x850 dual slot design. Should it fit in any case and by that i mean were will the 2slot cooler vent be. Does it just vent out a empty pci slot with the cover off? thz

chicken

Chickenfeed said:
Yeah thats what i thought. And the msrp on the pro is much more then the x800xl due to the 4 locked pipe lines so its basically still a x800xt. And the x800xl doesnt suck @ stock. IT compares to the 6800gt neck and neck more or less in all games excluding nvidias precious doom 3. Back to the x850xt since i paied 400 for my x800xl when i bought it they have to exchanged it for what i paied for. My local future shop isnt bad with these things ive done it 4 times already lol. exhanged my broken aiw9600xt a year ago for a 9800 aiw then that to the x800xl in march and it blew from my bad psu then i got it replaced with another one a week ago but since i have a new psu i should be ok. Tell me if im wrong but should my enermax noisetaker 420watt adequitely power a x850xt and
my soon to have 2800+ 64bit semp hopefully ocd to 2.5-2.6ghz. From what ive read even ocd that cpu will use simlar wattage to my 2.6 p4 at stock. And yes the x850 should oc much more on stock. I can only get this to 420 and from what ive read thtas the most youll get safely on stock. The x850 on the other hand can get a 30hz boost easily enough but ive hread the mem gives artifacts after you raise it even 5-10hz. I have one more question about the x850 dual slot design. Should it fit in any case and by that i mean were will the 2slot cooler vent be. Does it just vent out a empty pci slot with the cover off? thz

chicken
Maybe the MSRP is higher, but if you look on newegg for 5 minutes you'll see you can easily get an x800 Pro for $80 less than the x800 XL.

I would keep you x800 XL unless your having framerate problems and just hold off for one of ATi's next-gen graphics cards, or for a 7800 GT(X).

Chickenfeed said:

chicken

x800xl can't hold a candle to a 6800gt.

The Pro is a far faster card for less money. With 4 less pipes, and much higher clocks, it puts up better frame rates than the x800xl.

The x800xl runs super hot, and even running the card at -40c I wasn't able to get over 500mhz on the core.

An XT will walk all over that card, for an upgrade price of $50 CAD its deffiantly worth it, even if you are not going to be OCing the card. It will hold its value better, and be much easier to get rid of in the future. Trust me, Im stuck with an x800xl right now, and no one wants it.

I moved from X800XL to X850XT PE and there is a big difference in performace. THe x800xl performed ok, but this x850xt is much better.

Fishy have you volt modded that card? I was under the impression that the X800XL was made on the 110nm process that would make it run cooler than either a Pro or an XT. Please elighten.

WTF the x800XL does not suck it is the same as a 6800GT and the reviews prove that and it runs cooler then the x700pro did.

I've had both cards and the X850XT will slap the X800XL around like a redheaded step child on a crack benge. :eh?: $50 is well worth the upgrade and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :)

1- At stock the x800xl puts up a good fight with the 6800gt(beats it in both far cry and source engine games)
2- Its run fairly hot but the x850xt runs just as hot but at 100mhz more so the dual slot cooling brings it down again.
3- The performance is about 30% more with the x850xt
4- Im talking an exchange at a local store and im canadian so newegg can kiss my butt. Anywere in canada the x800pro is still 70-100 dollars more then the agp x800xl.

Also could someone please anwser wether my psu (enermax noistaker 420) will suffice with the x850(agp) and a 2800+semp ocd + 1hd 2 burners eventually creative xfi and a dfi nf3 250gb. Thz

well since your getting really good parts not get a really good psu. personally id would recommend the one in my sig or a powerstream psu

I think the idea that the X800XL runs hot is funny. With my ATI Silencer it never goes above 45° even at full load. You want hot, power hungry cards..... go look at nvidia..... ;)

HousERaT said:
I think the idea that the X800XL runs hot is funny. With my ATI Silencer it never goes above 45° even at full load. You want hot, power hungry cards..... go look at nvidia..... ;)
I think it's more of a reference to the factory card. My XL ran all the way up to 72C on load before I got a Zalmann, and afterwards it'll still climb up to 60C.

Chickenfeed said:
1- At stock the x800xl puts up a good fight with the 6800gt(beats it in both far cry and source engine games)
2- Its run fairly hot but the x850xt runs just as hot but at 100mhz more so the dual slot cooling brings it down again.
3- The performance is about 30% more with the x850xt
4- Im talking an exchange at a local store and im canadian so newegg can kiss my butt. Anywere in canada the x800pro is still 70-100 dollars more then the agp x800xl.

Also could someone please anwser wether my psu (enermax noistaker 420) will suffice with the x850(agp) and a 2800+semp ocd + 1hd 2 burners eventually creative xfi and a dfi nf3 250gb. Thz
Your psu should be fine but your o/c's may suffer a little bit if your rails dip too much.

I run my X800XL at 468/574 (stock 400/490), hardly a bad performer. It's not even volt modded, it is watercooled though (almost reaches 40ºC on full load).........

There are duds in every line of cards.........Singling a card out because of that is pretty irrelevant information.

Travis Dawes said:
Fishy have you volt modded that card? I was under the impression that the X800XL was made on the 110nm process that would make it run cooler than either a Pro or an XT. Please elighten.

Yes it is a die shrink, but its an r430 core.

It runs slower, and hotter than any of the other x800s.

Even with lots of extra volts, and very cold temps, I couldn't even catch up to x800xt's running on water, let alone a modded card or a frozen one.

For what I paid for it, its a good card, but If I had the option to trade it out for $35 for an x850 I'd jump all over that deal.

obsolete said:
There are duds in every line of cards.........Singling a card out because of that is pretty irrelevant information.

I have had more than one x800xl, and looking at the orb, even the fastest cards, aren't that fast.

There are faster x800pros out there.

Back