• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dothan under VapoXE install pics - 56K beware!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobtod

Hi guys, here is how I mounted my vapo XE on a dothan with the CT-479 adapter/P4C800-E Dlx.

There are quite a few pics, just thought you might want to see how I got round mounting the fragile dothan with my homemade heatspreader.

DothanVapoInstall01.jpg

First, take a stock intel prescott HS, heat up and knock out copper slug.

DothanVapoInstall02.jpg

Lathe out area 0.9mm deep, this was more than I need as I will lap this down for a tight fit later on.

DothanVapoInstall03.jpg

Looking good so far

DothanVapoInstall04.jpg

Lap the surfaces for better contact and get the right depth

DothanVapoInstall06.jpg

A blob of TIM was added to check for correct depth and good contact

DothanVapoInstall05.jpg

A few coats of conformal coating to seal the adapter from condensation

bt

DothanVapoInstall07.jpg

Insulate as normal

DothanVapoInstall08.jpg

Start to cut out many neoprene gaskets!

DothanVapoInstall09.jpg

Adapter in place, note that I changed the jumpers for smallers ones found on some old scsi hard drives I had

DothanVapoInstall10.jpg

CPU in place with some TIM and Dow Corning DC4

DothanVapoInstall11.jpg

Copper heatspreader and last piece of neoprene in place. Unfortunately there was no more room for the top vapo heater element, best keep my eye for ice build up on long sessions.

DothanVapoInstall12.jpg

Finally all together, note that I had to cut away a lot of the plastic around the floppy power connector and bend it slightly on the board to get the last metal mounting bar through.

Looks a lot less messy than I had originally thought it would.

Running @ 2.9ghz+ 1.6vcore

CPU temps
Idle: -20C
Load: -4C

SuperPi just over 25secs (still tweaking)

Looks like the dothan doesn't really benefit much from cooling like other chips, still not too bad although I did have high hopes of breaking the 3ghz barrier.

bt

Nice work.. glad to see more dothans under the ice... So are those temps read from the bios or the vapo read out.. I gained about 200mhz with my dothan under phase.. What was your clocks on air?

Bobtod said:
Looks like the dothan doesn't really benefit much from cooling like other chips, still not too bad although I did have high hopes of breaking the 3ghz barrier.

bt

Right there with you man, 3 gigs just wasnt going to happen for me either :(

Zork said:
Nice work.. glad to see more dothans under the ice... So are those temps read from the bios or the vapo read out.. I gained about 200mhz with my dothan under phase.. What was your clocks on air?

Right there with you man, 3 gigs just wasnt going to happen for me either :(

Temps were from asus probe, vapochill display reading -30C down to -25C under load.

I tried running my dothan in a spare P4P800 dlx board but was unable to get anything but the x6 multi even after multiple bios flashes :( So I got bored and stuck it in the vapo. BTW what fsb can yours do? my chip wont go over 250fsb with any multis.

bt

I can bench with my board at 300 X 10, but I run every day 24/7 stable at 295 X 10... 10 multi for some reason is my most stable multiplier.. I've always been an AMD person, never used intel much, but most people tell me I have a rare board for a P version? not sure if thats true or not, but no mods done to it what so ever, just running the DDR booster.. A droop mod would more than likely make that 3gigs happen, vcore fluctuates alot under full load..

By the way what chip do you have? 730?

Looks badass so far :D. When you get everything tweaked, lets see some 3Dmark / fully tweaked PI runs, excellent work so far, could help out our team big time for the top 10.

Zork said:
I can bench with my board at 300 X 10, but I run every day 24/7 stable at 295 X 10... 10 multi for some reason is my most stable multiplier.. I've always been an AMD person, never used intel much, but most people tell me I have a rare board for a P version? not sure if thats true or not, but no mods done to it what so ever, just running the DDR booster.. A droop mod would more than likely make that 3gigs happen, vcore fluctuates alot under full load..

By the way what chip do you have? 730?
I have the 740 (2 of them) but I accidently killed the first after 15mins. Caught a few tracks on the pocessor pcb with a misplaced craft knive, doh! I wish my dothan did 300fsb, I've had my P4C800 and P4P800 boards @ 290fsb (both droop modded) so I know it must be the chip. I've tried all mem dividers even with my OCZ4200EL which will do 280mhz.

The first chip (dead) had a pack date of Aug 2005 but the one I'm using is a lot older from Feb 2005 so maybe that's the reason.

What 1m superPi times are you getting with that high fsb?

bt

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
Looks badass so far :D. When you get everything tweaked, lets see some 3Dmark / fully tweaked PI runs, excellent work so far, could help out our team big time for the top 10.
The low fsb is crippling my SuperPi times, anything over 244fsb just aint happening ATM. I could shave a bit more off the time with some tweaks, if my chip would run 295x10 I'm sure I could get in the mid/low 23s.

The same with my 3dmark01 score, there's plenty more points available from high fsb although my 6800nu isn't the best card for 01: 31.5k

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8736804

24sSuperPi.jpg

bt

Really nice mounting you put together there bobtod. I love the pic with the copper HS mounted ready for the Vapo. On your Dothan I seem to remember reading something about booting at a high FSB, (maybe a specific FSB over 200?? I can't remember exactly) allows a higher memory speed.

Seems like the cooling is doing pretty good on this 740 although I'm sure you'd rather have a 780 to play with. Sell that Vapo an try an LS ;)

I would try to get a new chip, but a 3GHZ PM is nothing to be sad about. To bad PM has no PCi-E chipsets, or it would be a great platform.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
Wonder what is limiting you, are you using your P4C800-E? Iono why your FSB is limiting you :-/
Tried it in one of my P4P800 dlx boards first and that only got to around 230-240fsb x6 multi. It wont even post above 225fsb in my P4C800-E dlx but it is prime stable at 240fsb using clockgen. I think later I will have another go from scratch incase I'm doing something wrong, maybe it a memory divider problem? It does seem odd that it wont post above 225fsb but is prime stable in windows.

El<(')>Maxi said:
Really nice mounting you put together there bobtod. I love the pic with the copper HS mounted ready for the Vapo. On your Dothan I seem to remember reading something about booting at a high FSB, (maybe a specific FSB over 200?? I can't remember exactly) allows a higher memory speed.

Seems like the cooling is doing pretty good on this 740 although I'm sure you'd rather have a 780 to play with. Sell that Vapo an try an LS ;)
I normally boot at 200/201fsb (otherwise the AGP/PCI lock doesn't work) then use clockgen but it just wont go past 244fsb :-/ I wouldn't mind an LS but I guess it would be wasted on a dothan.

bt

Back