• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 200GB HDD, swapfile and drive label problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ub3r-L33ch

So my current drive configuration is something like this:

C: 74.5GB - 10GB for Windows, the rest is another partition for games
D: 189GB - New HDD
E: 74.5 - Old Backup HDD
X: 37.2 - External HDD

Currently labeled as:
C: System
D: New Volume
E: Backup
X: External
Z: Games

I cant change the label of D or E, it doesnt accept changes, I can change the labels of the other drives. Disk Management shows D and E as Dynamic Drives, the rest are Basic, if any of that matters.

Also I am unable to set a swap file on the new 200GB drive. I set it, accept, asks to restart, back in Windows... nothing on the HDD. I am able to put data on to the drive though.

I remember someone posting awhile back about something similar with a swap file issue, dont remember if he got it working or not.

Any ideas?

I never use a dynamic drive.I have set them up that way by accident,but always reformat when I have realized they were dynamic.
Windows by default uses the fastest page file at any given time.If the page file on C: windows is the fastest and set to static it will only initiate that page file on startup.All other page files will be ignored.If the page file on another drive is gauged to be faster it will only see that one.
The fix is to set the size on c: to a static size large enough so it will not need to expand itself at any time afterward,reboot and then re-tick the system managed size on C:.The numbers will disappear but it will still be set to that size.After that you may also set static files on any other drive and they will be seen by Windows on startup.
The page file on C: must be set to system managed size in order to enable windows to create multiple page files.XP is the first OS I know of that is like this.It took me a long time to figure this one out.

Ok thanks, but I still dont know what to do about not being able to change the label on D and E drives.

Back