• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first time with Yoper.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris_F

I was looking through the Yoper repositories and noticed that it's perty out-dated and incomplete. The latest version of firefox was 0.9, openoffice was 1.2 something and gaim was 0.95 something.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: This is really starting to get on my nerves. I've tryed to install a few things and none of them would install right.

I tryed using KPackage, Synaptic and APT.

Here's the error I get when I try to install firefox:

Code:
While installing package firefox-0.9.3-1:

rpmdb: PANIC: Invalid argument
rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
error: db4 error(-30978) from dbcursor->c_put: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
error: db4 error(-30978) from db->sync: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
error: db4 error(-30978) from db->sync: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
error: db4 error(-30978) from db->cursor: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
error: db4 error(-30978) from db->get: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
error: error(-30978) getting "firefox" records from Name index
error: db4 error(-30978) from db->cursor: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
error: db4 error(-30978) from db->get: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
error: error(-30978) getting "usr" records from Basenames index
Goes on for a million lines.

Last edited:
I don't know much about Yoper, but in many distros, you must update the package database from time to time. In gentoo you do "emerge --sync". This makes it download the names/versions of available packages. Otherwise, you end up with old stuff being installed as it is unaware of newer stuff. Maybe this applies to yoper too?

is yoper debina based?

If it is you may need to add some more current enteries into your sources.list file (I think that's what it's called) it's been a while since i've used debian

It would be under /etc/sources.list (I think)

I was just trying out Yoper and decided I didn't like it. Apparently it's RPM based.

Yoper was faster than most other distros but it had probably the worst installer of any which gave me the most trouble. On top of that I dislike it's package management system.

It was worth a try though. :)

I've installed Debian and it wasn't very hard at all if you have the installation docs handy. Gentoo is also supposed to be reasonably easy if you follow the well written install doc.

Arkaine23 would be the guy to PM about Yoper as he is on the dev team.

Mmm, sorry haven't been invloved with Yoper in quite a while now. Yoper uses apt4rpm to give apt-get-like installability to its i686-optimized rpm's. Last I knew there was some funding trouble and the devs had a hard time keeping up with package updates. It's possible your problem is related to-

1) outdated/misconfigured sources.list
2) you need to run apt-get update

Thanks for looking in here Troy. I didn't know you'd moved on from Yoper. Oh well it was fun for awhile :)

Debian or Gentoo are better IMHO.

Back