• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mach 1...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{PMS}fishy

Well, it started off its life in bad shape. With a little love, a few hours, and a couple of beers, I think I managed to patch her all up.

As you can see before, the suction line cracked off right where the SS meets the coper. I don't know why they thought that was a good idea.

mach1.jpg

So I ripped that off, cut down that tower of copper that caused the problem and brazed on a new suction line, cap tube, chilly1 evap, and drier.

Here is the part way stage of the game.

mach3.jpg

Unit all up, charged and running.

mach4.jpg

And, of course the disaster of a train wreck that I made in the process.

mach5.jpg

Sorry, no step by step pictures this time, not enough intrest on my part to do so. All that is left is to stick the unit back in the case, and hook up a new temp probe, and reinsulate the scution line, oh and tune it once I get my new 'toy'.......

Sweet. How long did the entire piece of work take you, and what sort if tools did you need to do it all? I should expect that you pretty much just got yourself a nice custom-tuned Mach I for the price of a dead unit and a few hours of work... that's awesome to see :).

felinusz said:
Sweet. How long did the entire piece of work take you, and what sort if tools did you need to do it all? I should expect that you pretty much just got yourself a nice custom-tuned Mach I for the price of a dead unit and a few hours of work... that's awesome to see :).

No special tools. I had everything I needed. I use to be a mechanic.

Well, I did have to buy the gauges, and make an evac pump, but that doesn't really count.

Took less than an hour from broken to fixed. The tunning is the time consuming part.

ill deff be keeping an eye on this thread find out how far this 830 can go!

d94 said:
ill deff be keeping an eye on this thread find out how far this 830 can go!

All I can say is that it better be faster than yours.

Nice work fishy.. Glad to see you got it up and running again... Let us know how temps have improved with R290 vs the original R134a?

Zork said:
Nice work fishy.. Glad to see you got it up and running again... Let us know how temps have improved with R290 vs the original R134a?

he's asleep so i'll field

it was a cap tube modded mach1 with r507 so we don't know. we also haven't put it on a processor, and it probably wont go on one in that state. my apartment is starting to get filled up with compressors, condensors, etc. :D

Zork said:

Hard to say, as it had r507 in it, but I never saw it working.

I'd hope to have around -40/45c on the read out. Ill have to yank that temp probe out of the stock evap, or something.

Looks good Fishy, glad you got your Mach1 up and running finally.

What you really need to do is get it fully tuned and see what temps you get, then tear the whole thing down and build a cap in cap evap and compare temps with it :p.

This way we can see if paying the $100+ for Chilly's evap is worth it ( I think personally its a rip).

Ad Rock said:
This way we can see if paying the $100+ for Chilly's evap is worth it ( I think personally its a rip).

You and me both, but I didn't pay for this one.

I like the second pic which shows the lighter, propane, and beer within a foot of eachother. Just like camping.

Back