• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HL2: Lost Coast

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ju5tin99

Check out this new level from Valve for HL2.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2005/09/14/lost_coast_screens/1.html

It's just a single level, and the big upgrade is that is uses HDR technology (Hight Dynamic Range I think). The article says that it's designed with high end users in mind, to push the limits of what the hardware can handle. HL2 was designed so that people with mid-range computers could run it. Since this is just a single level designed to showcase new technologies, and they're not going to be selling it, Valve doesn't care if it runs well on mid-range computers. Should be fun to see what everybody here can do with it. Check out the trailer too. It looks good.

I was under the impression that HL2 had a certain type of in-house hdr built-in to the engine. You can see it in some scenes of the game as-is.

I was almost certain I read somewhere that their (valves) hdr equivalent worked on cards that could not necessarily do real hdr like in Farcry.

So why are they re-debuting something they've already had? Or am I way off on this one?

Back