• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus p5WD2 has issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glenda17

Registered
Warning to anyone interested in the P5WD2. I never had so many issues installing a MB. First bios only recognizes the main IDE not the two red ones until the drivers are installed. So you have to install windows with your HD and CD-rom on the same IDE channel.

The big problem with this MB is the ethernet driver or lan controller. The driver keeps getting corrupt and when it does work your internet connection is incredibly slow. I had to disable it and add a PCI ethernet card.

There is really no excuse for a $200 MB to have a non-functioning ethernet.
Next time I am back to Gigabyte.

On a positive not the things overclocks well, running a 3.0 at 3.5 no problems.

glenda17 said:
Warning to anyone interested in the P5WD2. I never had so many issues installing a MB. First bios only recognizes the main IDE not the two red ones until the drivers are installed. So you have to install windows with your HD and CD-rom on the same IDE channel.

The big problem with this MB is the ethernet driver or lan controller. The driver keeps getting corrupt and when it does work your internet connection is incredibly slow. I had to disable it and add a PCI ethernet card.

There is really no excuse for a $200 MB to have a non-functioning ethernet.
Next time I am back to Gigabyte.

On a positive not the things overclocks well, running a 3.0 at 3.5 no problems.

seems to me you are the only one having those problems...

regarding the red IDE's dont think you dont need to install drivers for that.. try to make sure you have ENABLED ITE IDE on your BIOS. go to BIOS>>ON BOARD PERIPHERALS.

AS for your ETHERNET or LAN CONTROLLER. again ive had no issues. i am using it with cable internet and have had no problems. try to make sure you are using the drivers that came with your mobo and that you have not installed any other device drivers that may have come in conflict with the OEM drivers. an example would be installing updates. they do mess up the installation.

one thing i would agree with what you are saying about ASUS though that you have failed to mention is its TECH SUPPORT mainly on their forums. NOW, that, all of guys should stay away from.

hope you have better luck with your other board/s

Last edited:
bapski said:
seems to me you are the only one having those problems...
No he isnt the only one, He just hasnt read the manual. I had to give a very similar conversation to both d94 and Xtremeoverclocker :)

It states very clearly in the manual Asus provides that the controllers for the chipset are much newer than what windows recognises so you have to manually update the drivers before installing. Had you done that your issue would not have occured. In addition you have to do that as well for the SATA ports.

In addition I would like to stress that the 8I955X is a far worse board than is the Asus.

what do you mean "manually update the drivers before installing"

glenda17 said:
what do you mean "manually update the drivers before installing"
Prior to the initial windows install screen via booted CD you press F6 to load drivers. It says so very clearly if you pay attention :)

I finally got the ethernet controller to work by downloading the latest driver.

Anyone who wants this MB, do two things before the install:

1. Download the latest drivers
2. Make a floppy for the IDE driver to use on the windows install (F8)

Dave

glenda17 said:
I finally got the ethernet controller to work by downloading the latest driver.

Anyone who wants this MB, do two things before the install:

1. Download the latest drivers
2. Make a floppy for the IDE driver to use on the windows install (F8)

Dave

You can always install on the defualt drivers and update them after the fact.

Saved the trouble of a floppy.

Noticed this also on my fresh install on the P5AD2E. You have to pay attention to the manual when it comes to the Asus boards no matter what.

I know a lot of us are men and think we are 100% experts but I have seen way too many people give up when it just means installing the driver at bootup that I just laugh now.

Let them waste money buying a different board because they can't read a tiny manual.

Back