• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Time AMD'er, Few Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ec]-[oMaN

Hey guys.
This will be my very first AMD based rig and I have some questions. Here is what I'm getting.

AMD 64 3200
DFI Lanparty UT Ultra-D NF4
Ocz Plat rev2 pc3200 v1.1
Sapphire x800gto2
Ocz 420w powerstream
Western Digital 250GB SATAII 16MB 3.5-in HDD 7200rpm

I will be using Windows XP pro w/sp2.
Now on to the questions, sorry, I do have a few ;)

#1-Which core is better based on the 3200? (WINCHESTER) or (VENICE)
#2-How long are the powerstream cables?I will need them to fit in a tower case with the mobo at bottom,instead of at the top.
#3-Will I need any special drivers at boot up to install just this one sata2 drive? Also which sata slot should I use?
#4-What DFI bios will be decent for an AMD 64 3200+My Ocz ram?
#5-I have read about the Nf4 chipset drivers. What should I be installing? I dont need the nvidia firewall. When installing the chipset drivers do I have a choice as to what I want installed?
#6-Which two slots should the memory be use in this board?dual channel.

Thanks for your time guys.

Last edited:
1. venice core better.
2 if u using DFI board. I recommend 2.0 power supply (24pins). cable shouldn't be a issue. they make really long.
3. no special driver to install sata2. but make u your MB support Sata2
4 best bio is 623-2. that support dual core and really stable.
5. just install the latest nvida nforcer. u will be fine. if u don't want nvidia firewall. then don't install.

and by the way, welcome to the AMD overclocker world :) now, start spending more money on it... :welcome:

I agree with everything 325 said. As for which sata slot to plug into just plug it into slot 1 which you can identify reading the manual.

eeerrr looking at the dfi website I'll need to install all of these or what?nforce driver first right?

Revision A3.75
Driver Audio Driver

NDIS driver for Integrated LAN of nForce Chipset.

Revision 2.00.23.05
Driver NVIDIA System Driver
nTune utility for Win32s.

Revision 7.29
Driver LAN Drivers
OS Window XP
Integrated Marvell Gigabit-LAN driver for Win2K/XP.

Revision 6.53
Driver NVIDIA System Driver
OS Window XP
NForce chipset Driver for Windows 2K/XP.

Revision 2.1.0.0
Driver Smart I/O Driver
OS All
ITE Smart Guardian for Windows. (For NForce4 Chipset

go to Nvidia website and download the latest nforce driver.. that will all u need to install. it included everything u need for your dfi board to work..

Back