• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Setting Up File Server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
First of all, you would need to install IIS or another FTP server program. For IIS, you need to go into Add/Remove Programs, and click on Add/Remove Windows Components. Check the box under IIS for FTP. It may also check other boxes, just leave them. You will need your XP CD to finish this. Once that is done, go into the Admin Tools control panel and go to Internet Information Services. Config the FTP to not allow Anonymous access, and set up the read/write permissions. You may also change the default shared folder here as well. Then you will need to set up user accounts for the users and that is pretty much the basics.

Once this is setup, if you have a router, you will need to forward Ports 20 & 21 to your local IP. If you have a direct connection or a router, you will need to config the firewall settings if you have one.

Then all that anyone will have to do, is open a browser and go to:
ftp://your_ip_address
and login.

You also need to know if you have a static IP or a dynamic one. If your ISP changes your IP at some interval then they won't be able to access the server after it changes. I know that there are services available to keep a dynamic IP address associated with a domain name, so you could try one of them, but you would then need a domain name.

Alternatively I suppose you could always send out an email or something with updates of the IP address as needed, but that seems rather annoying.

ok this is what i gots...

im using windows firewall (dont ask) and using a netgear wireless router on the wired ports, as for the IP, ive set up my pc as a static ip thru my router altho im not using static ip from comcast.... lol but its not that hard to do

btw..

its not gonna be up 24.7 its mainly for when a friend needs a huge file and such

Last edited:
I run filezilla FTP server on my XP box... works great. In your router, point port 21 to your machine you want to be the fileserver. Then, go to www.no-ip.com and set up a free account, download the utilities and your dynamic IP will be associated with a domain name of your choice...

I use bulletproof FTP for my ftp server very easy to use and pretty secure. Your router might have DDNS on it which will allow you to set up your dynamic ip address with the domain so that you dont have to update it all the time, the router will do it automatically thats what i do i use dyndns.org because my router supports it. i personally dont like having a static IP because well sometimes I "need" a new IP address haha. as far as ftp programs to download, filezilla is nice and its free, i use flashFXP.

if your going to use the default 20/21 ports for FTP make sure you use a good strong username/passwords (no dictionary words!) because people will scan your network and try and bruteforce your FTP, TRUST ME! Set up anti-hammering and lock out multiple failed attempts on your ftp server. Check your ftp logs too every now and then.

Besides that enjoy.

ill try throwing up a Filezilla with it, and ill be using another unused port other than the standard... and only a few people will have user/pass with anon off

well that was easier than i thought :/

filezilla server is up and running :/ lol

Last edited:
You will need to put in your public IP address, the one given to you by Comcast, in order to access the machine over the internet. The static IP setup is for private networking, and can't be routed over the internet.

Use the tools recommended to setup an account, and give a static way for your firends to access the dynamic IP.

You zap a blessed wand of thread revivification. Nothing happens.

Anybody know if filezilla works on Win98? I'm asking because the project page is a little ambiguous, says 32-bit MS Windows (NT, 2000, XP) -- I know 98 is on a different kernel model, but it *is* 32-bit, kind of.

Also, would a PII-266 with 128MB of RAM work for the job, or would I need a beefier computer/OS?

I think it is a sin in the bible to revive a thread that is more than 3-4 pages deep in the forum index.

Cant say for filezilla, but I wouldnt personally do a file server with less than 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM should be alright.

The server in my sig (minus the 320GB HDD and burner) cost me about $275cdn shipped. In the US you can proably have it cheaper... a decent server can be had for a reasonable price.

Point taken on the thread reviving, figured it's better to revive a related thread than start a new one, but if the consensus says otherwise I shall acquiesce.

I may have access to something more powerful, a 1.4 celly if I'm not mistaken, I wanted to probe the PII possibility first due to issues of power consumption.

freenas works great

You can install the OS on a flash drive. Some old mobos don't support boot usb so use an ide/cf adapter and a compact flash card. That's what I'm doing here soon. That way you can have the storage drives power down and the system is silent.

Back