• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

painted my motherboard *PICS*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lowfat

I am still waiting for my CPU to arrive to I thought I would paint my motherboard. Reason being for mostly safety with the water. I don't want to cook another CPU/motherboard because of a little spill.

Picture067Large.jpg

Picture075Large.jpg

I missed the one corner by the power/led/reset jumpers bare so that I could read what wires went where without referring to the manual. And i over taped by the IDE secondary connector, and the ATX connector, but hopefully shouldn't be able to see them when the cables are installed.

I'll probably be painting the CT-479 tonight :)

looks sweet, but damn, i would have wait till the warrenty runs out. oh well, its fun livin life on the edge :D LOL

anyways, looks sweet, way better than that boring green, or red, or yellow, or whatever it is, rofl

Zulu-1 said:
i believe you can use any kind of paint, you just have to check to see if it's conductive 1st...
Yeah. Conductive paint would really kill your mobo. Although that would be interesting. Every piece on the mobo would be connected to every other one. Sounds like something for the hardware destruction thread.

good job, it looks very nice, in fact i may do that myself soon (if i can bear not having a pc that long...). however i have seen this done before, once with UV-reactive paint and another time with gold. here is a good example of this, but i quite like the effect black has...

btw did you primer it 1st?

I guess for sealing up the board that'd help, but I guess I can't personally get over the fact that it's a permanent solution. I think it looks nice, I love black PCBs, but I could not do that myself. Good luck.

- Jim

Thought about doing something similar a while back. But I really like the metal
flake look of these "Golden Flame" boards so decided against it.
lowfat said:
I used Kylon fusion, it isn't conductive. And it was something i had earlier for painting a case.
Krylon Fusion might be a good idea since it's formulated to bond with plastics.
Why do people also use it for painting their metal case? Seems like a waste to me.

Wouldnt the paint act as an insulator on various parts and potentially cause over heating - i beleive this is why most people have never done this - i know that is what stopped me...

I can see pics...dont u think it would have been smarter to cover caps as well...

Mr.Guvernment said:
Wouldnt the paint act as an insulator on various parts and potentially cause over heating - i beleive this is why most people have never done this - i know that is what stopped me...

Same here. I wanted my system to run cool as possible.

Actually I have seen a couple projects like this. The general consensus was that
only the PCB itself should be painted, and that parts like capacitors & mosfets etc
should be left bare. Makes sense really.

Not dissing your mod lowfat - quite the opposite. The black is a nice contrast
with the black & blue headers IMO. Would look good in a UV reactive system. :)

Well if anyone else wants to do this without insulating just use label paper to cover the capacitors, MOSFETS, assorted chips, connectors, sockets, headers, etc. then use barbeque paint which has a much higher temperature tolerance (which would prevent your board from leech weird smells for the first month of use).

I've never done it simply because I just hate working with paint.

Back