• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Built-by-ATi X800XL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vipasnipa

So I've been on a roller coaster for a week now about what video card I want. On one hand, I'm keenly focused on the price/performance point, but on the other hand, I want a KICKASS video card that will teach The Elderscrolls IV: Oblivion a lesson. One thing is that I'm consciously aware of is my AGP-handicap. This is fine for me; I want ONE more more kickass AGP card that will last me for 2 years before I upgrade platforms entirely.

So there's an X800XL 256MB AGP card, which could have my name on it, for $255 (shipped two-day). Seeing as how I'm incredibly paranoid, I come back to you, Forumers, to tell me, true or false; A) This is a good price for this card and B) This is a good card, and you won't look back disappointed because you could have gotten a (more expensive) X800XT or 6800GT.

I'll be your bestest friend if you can do this for me! :)

It is a decent card i have one and thats a good price. As for power newer stuff such as oblivion might be a tad slow. The developers said in a interview with gamespot that youll basically need the best hardware avaible at the time of release. Since atis x800/x850 series is not shader model 3 they would run slower then the geforce 6 series i am guessing. The 6800gt has more overclockability but then again the x800xl is a fair match at stock. I dont think youll require a sm3 card for oblivion but it might look a tad better and run slightly faster. Im sure the x800xl could run it on medium to higher settings with the high dynamic range enabled at 1024x768. This is only speculation but i think its a fair guess.
If you want run a higher rez then that and higher/highest video settings nothing less then a 6800ultra will likely do too great. This isnt a fact but knowing what the devs said and the fact that hte newest hardware out when morrowind was released even coudlnt run it that well. I hope im wrong cause i also want get morrowind. Since the 1x800 series will be out soon id wait a month just too see were pricing goes. They also are supposed to be in agp so we have one more generation at least.Until we see somebenchmarks of these new cards on oblivion no one can be sure. In 2 years youll be running games at lower settings sure since the min will be a 256mb 16pipeline card by then im guessing. But if you dont want to go broke in the process the x800xl should fair well for you. Hope this helps :)

Back