• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I might have a PSU issue. What do you think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MmCheeto

I have been tryign oc my rig for quite some time now and have been lurking on other threads to find the bottle neck on my system. We have been tossing ideas here.

Here are a few highlights.

I would try using a cycle time of 8. Also, just to take the RAM out as being the bottleneck, why not try temporarily using the 1:1 ratio until you get everything sorted out?

What's puzzling is it acts like it's starved for voltage, but if you raise the vcore it shuts down. Put a load on the system and check to see how much vcore drops. Also check your PSU 3.3v and +12v rails.

Did you mention what power supply you are using? Those dual cores pull a lot of amps, not to mention you have a water pump and radiator fans to run too. Hopefully you have a real heavy duty 24-pin PSU. If your problem isn't heat, it could very well be lack of voltage.

Ya know I was thinking about that today. I was abotu to build anotehr watercooling system when it struck me. The pump I am using pulls massive amounts of power from the PS and to add to it like you say. The Pent D sucks alot as well. Im sure the Video card is takings its fair share..

Power Supply stats are

Turbo Case ( Aspire )
Model : ATX-AS500w
500w
115v-230v
10/5A
50/50Hs

Powerd units include
2 120mm Panflo Fans
1 80mm Turbo Cool fan with LEDs
CD/RW
2 250 WD Hard Drives
Swiftech MP655 (Pump)
AbitAW8-Max and its components
4 Cold cathod

I'd say it's the power supply. Stock PSU that came with an aspire case, I assume? If so, get a nice one like the OCZ powerstream...i'm sure other people have better recommendations. But, that's quite a hefty setup and i'd be willing to bet it's the psu at fault...

Hrmm. Its a sound theory. I assume that even if this isnt the cause of my problem I should prob get a better PSU just because of the load im putting on the one I got now. Could be causing more issues then I know about. I guess on that not ill prob spring for a new case and get out of this modded Antec case I have had for 3 years.

End....

If there is any info lacking here let me know I would be mroe than happy to provide. I figure if my current PSU was the issue this was the best place to find out :p

If so . What PSU would be best for my rig? I guess something that can cope with the demand on my system atm plus extra for the long run cause I make changes to my system alot. Thanks in advance :beer:

probably the psu because aspire psus just aren't up to par. get a powerstream 520.

-1cem4n

A digital multimeter and measure the rails under load and see if they dip. But poor quality is poor quality, and I doubt that your psu would be the only high quality aspire. Since you're going to get a lot of powerhungry components I'd also for the powerstream 520w.

Well thats about enuff info I need. New PSU it is. Thanks so much for the speedy reply. Ordering a new PowerStream 520 today. Ill let ya know how it turns out :beer:

Back