• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No sound on start up or shut down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alchemy1

I just put the yellow rig in my sig togehter yesterday and I am having a small sound problem. Windows has no sound when it starts up or shuts down (the default windows sounds). Also, I have no sound in Trillian. Every thing is enabled and I can hear cd's, web pages with sound, etc. I cannot figure this out. If someone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

I don't know. I will look and post back.

EDIT:
I changed it to default and there is still no sound. The problem is bigger than I thought too. I have sound when playing sound files (movies, cd's, streams, etc), but no sound when I am using programs (including windows itself).

Last edited:
sound drivers and hardware ..

reboot and let windows detect sound controller

and install drivers

Okay...pshew! For a second I thought you meant reinstall windows. I am on my second install in two days now...lol. I'll try to uninstall the drivers and then reboot.

I think you are correct. There is a driver problem. Only problem is...I cannot seem to uninstall my sound drivers. When I go to add/remove programs and try to remove my drivers that came with my P5WD2 (Realtek High Definition audio driver) I get this error:

Error Number:0x80040707
Description: Dll function call crashed: ISRT.VerGetFileVersion

Setup will now terminate

any suggestions?

I was going to just delete the files manually, but I know that is not the way to go about deleting programs.

BTW, I forgot to mention I am using onboard sound.

Sound disabled in bios and still got the same error when trying to remove audio drivers. This is really getting frustrating. I appreciate your help.

Have you tried removing them in Safe Mode? I sometimes perefer to remover onboard devices since they may sometimes be in use during a normal unistall.

Try driver cleaner, or do a manual pull out?

Manual removal:This involves finding all the drivers in the file system and going into the reg and pulling out the entries. This takes a certian amount of skill and can make you mad if you miss one entry. I know my sound card has like 4 entries that are rather hard to get to in the reg. One good thing. If you never learned the red and how to do a manual, your in for a very steep learning curve.

Ok, I just tried driver cleaner. I tried to boot in safemode, but when I hit F8 it went to a boot selector window instead of a os mode selector. I am about to see if the cleaner worked.

UPDATE:
Well, I got fed up and did a COMPLETE fresh install of xp. I used fdisk to wipe the drive clean and then I installed xp. I was hoping it would work, but now I have NO sound.

Last edited:
Just installed and uninstalled drivers (hardware and software) successfuly, BUT still no sound.

I assume you have the newest version the driver? If you do, try an older version. Past that I am stumped.

I am attempting to download the newest version now, but I am having trouble installing it. I was using the drivers that were on the Asus disk that came with my mobo. This is driving me crazy too.

EDIT:
Thanks for the help guys. I fixed the problem this morning in 5 minutes. I just reinstalled the drivers on the provided cd and voila IT WORKED!!! And to think I reinstalled xp for nothing it seems. Oh well...life goes on.

Last edited:
Yes, I re-enabled sound when I reformatted. I don't know what was wrong, but I am just glad it is working now. I JUST got my Sennheiser headphones about an hour ago...just in time :)

Back