• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEED HELP choosing right cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tsyle

I got a intel 640 chip which i overclocked to around 3.8ghz. The cpu been using the stock fan for some time now and its running HOT. It stays idle around 57c and load got as high as 76c.

I been looking for a new cooling system but can't really decide. I read on here that the SCNJ-1000 Ninja Heatpipe CPU Cooler is good, but it looks HUGE. I don't know if i want to go with a water cooling system yet.

Can someone recommend some cooling products for me. I prefer to not go with water but if i have to then i will. I just want to get this CPU running as low as possible.

THANKS

My system:

Intel 640 Chip overclocked to 3.85
STOCK COOLING SYSTEM (Need to change this ASAP)
ASUS P5AD2-E
RADEON X700
forgot wat ram i got...
Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Aluminum Case

Right now... its a lil hot in cali... around 80

Last edited:
Ninja looks really interesting, of course along with some nice 120mm fan. Another option may be Thermaltake Sonic Tower modded to 3 fans.
I think you should be satisfied with Ninja. And size issue - well, bigger heatsink = more radiation surface = better heat exchange. So bigger is better, espacially for such heaters as 640.

Nice WC righ will offer better temperatures, but it will cost you much more too. I'm really unsure if its worth playing with WC...

AC:
simple, cheap, good performance, may be problematic to clean

WC:
expensive, may be problematic to set up, great performance, easy to clean

thanks for you guys help. I got the Thermaltake Sonic Tower and the computer is running at 40C idle now. BIG improvement.

Back