• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

biostar m7vig400 k7 amd 800mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IamME

Registered
I am a newb here . I dont know too much so when you reply to me treat me like im a moron please just so i can under stand.
Im trying to overclock my cpu and i go into my bois screen and all of my settings wont allow me to move them. My fsb in my bios is there but will not allow me to change it up or down. Now i am allowed to change my voltage if i move it up from 100% to 120 i get my processor working at 960.2 mhz any thing after that it wont boot.

now after all Ive read here none of what its doing is making no sense to me please help me understand.. also this board came with an overclocking software but it sucks and wont allow much over the stock stettings

Is it an 800 MHz Duron you're trying to overclock?

If you are using a retail hetasink, it may not allow you to get very far, are you?
Also, power supply brand (also watts, but brand is important) will influence your overclock greatly, so that peice of info always helps.

Some older mobos use physical jumpers on the mobo itself to change values newer mobos can change in BIOS, download your mobo manual to see if that's the case.

Are you doing this for fun or is this your main system? Are you in the United States?

Welcome to the forums.

OK I know the processor is new.Maybe not a new model but its new.Heat sinks aftermarket and cools socket a (amd ) up to a 2200 so i think im ok. Yes main system but im getting a new processor so i want some pratice. Like i said i can change some values in thre bios menu and i can overclock it through a program that came with my drives but i cant do much in the bios i was wondering y .
yes im in the good ol US of A .Idont know what my power suply is it came off a 2001 compaq .... thanks

Can you provide more specifics on the actual type of cpu it is and where you bought it from. Also did the cpu come alone or bundled with the motherboard

bought it new as a bundle ..its a m7vig400.VIA chipset.AMD duron 800mhz processor.256 ram and 512 ram . ATI all in one wonder video card. 80 gig maxtor hard drives one main one slaved. im on windows xp. Also this board came with a program in the drivers called warpspeed (its overclocking software that sucks). heres a linky http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=m7vig+400.

cpu running very cool @ 38c right now i have the fsb@ 120 agp@60 [email protected] pci@ 30 mhz v core 1.55 . .I gathered all this from that sofware also

Last edited:
Yes your mobo only has three selections for FSB 100, 133 or 166 and that can only be changed through the JCLK1 jumper on your mobo (see your manual for details). I am afraid the only way you can change FSB in smaller increments is through warpspeeder or some other software that changes FSB. But hey 800 to 960MHz still represents a 20% overclock. If your temps are OK try upping further till you hit instability then increase vcore a bit more if possible after that.
BTW :welcome:

how do i change vcore setting ive been allthrough my bios and the software there are no changes i see but thanks im reading my mails now.
edit* there are 8 jumpers all must be open to run @ 166 mhz

edit edit** i set my fsb to 166 it runing @ 1344.3 mhz wow now how do i change the multiplyer ..... im gunna burn this thing up :) i have a sempron 3000+ plus coming in the mail now

Last edited:
Be sure to read the motherboard manual, it's all in there.

If you don't have it, official mobo web site has them for download. Also, check to see if your mobo is compatible with Bartons, (not all Socket A mobos are compatible with all socket A CPUs.)

You ordered a Socket A (not Socket 754) 3000+ Sempron?

Unlike mobile Bartons, Semprons are multiplier locked.

Be sure to check your temperatures plus see if your mobo has an autoshutdown option when it gets too hot, before you start killing your equipment... :)

yes my mobo shuts down at 150c and temps are @ 39c . On there web site it says its comadibale up to sempron 2800. what i dont under stand is if i can only select 100,133,166 fsb how will the new sempron run @ the 333mhz its suppose to ?

You'll see smoke & fire long before you hit 150 degrees Celcius.

I have mine set at 70, some people have it at 65, even 60 C.

Semprons up to 2800+ have a Thoroughbred core.

3000+ Socket A Sempron is the only Barton core, perhaps your mobo is not compatible with Bartons?

If your mobo is compatible with Bartons, then yes it will run at 333 (which is dual 166, so set it to 166)

You need PC2700 RAM to run at 166, PC2100 generic RAM usually does not run that high.

yes my 256 and 512 stick is 333mhz 2700. As far as the core we will see if not up on ebay it goes...also my board will take a athlon xp 3000+ 333fsb so y wouldnt it take a sempron 3000+ 333fsb same cores.

Last edited:
Back