• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

65nm Netburst - Cedar Mill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hazmatt87

Registered
Anyone who gets the Tomshardware.com newsletter, you would have got the sneak peek link to their review of the upcoming Cedar Mill chips with the 6x1 or 6x3 (cedar mill with VT) numbers. They wont be any faster than the current 6xx chips, since they are just shrunk to 65, but the TDP is down to 86W.

Read the whole article here.

They could prove to overclock well, since we are all adapted to dealing with the heat anyways, these will be a piece of cake. Maybe these will be a cheaper solution hold us off until Conroe.

Last edited:
Judging fromt he article it's wiser for me to hold off on the current 6xx chips and wait for Cedar mill. Less heat and clocks almost identical but with an extra feature and it's still not fully developed yet.

Someone hold me to the fire if I said anything stupid... :)

Hmm, sounds promising. Too bad that they didn't give any direct info about the heat difference (as in degrees C) between cedar mill and prescott- other than saying that cedar mill consumed less power. What I'm wondering is if the cedar mill chips will be priced similarly or even the same as the current 6xx series chips (as they are in some way, directly replacing them,) or if there will be a heftier tag on them. I've already been thinking about building a new rig when the 975x chipset comes out with a 6xx cpu and then upgrading to Conroe later when prices even out. If I can get a cedar mill instead (and if they do indeed run cool(er) enough compared to current prescotts to effect oc-ability positively,) then I'd be pretty happy :)

what was the max TDP for northwoods?

I thought it was around 86... if thats the case, we can expect northwood like temps with these cpus.

Perhaps a 4.0 ghz cpu is in order? Maybe even 4.2ghz :)

why didn't they tell us temps? My temps are fine mid 30 to low 40s on idle. And there seems to be no great jump in performance other than VT so why would I bother upgrading?

I'm glad I learned a long time ago to believe nothing I read off of Tom's Hardware. If you want accurate information stick with a reputable site that does not test for the highest bidder.

I use to say that I belive nothing I read on there, and only 1/2 of what i actually see, but that that only includes nothing since it was a waste of my time to even log onto that site.

Xbit labs, Anantech, and mnay others give accurate info, and they won't skew the results to fit their agenda.

Some of the info there may be true...who knows? That's become the problem with Tom's, you never know until the other sites do the testing.

looks like Intel is cooling down their chips. 65nm should provide much cooler temps then 90nm Prescott did. what i find weird is that with 1/2 the nanometers, intel barely beats the TDP of the old 130nm A64's by only 3w. they will probably clock very nicely though.

And there seems to be no great jump in performance other than VT so why would I bother upgrading?

If you already have a 90nm 6xx series cpu, there would be no reason to upgrade (unless they turn out to oc significantly better or run a lot cooler, I'm not expecting that large of a benefit.) I'd agree with what others have said in that Cedar Mill is mostly a testbed for new tech. They should (hopefully) be a nice choice for people like me though who are upgrading from something a bit older (and, assuming that I am right in that Conroe is going to be pricy when it is released.)

Back