• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best "bang for buck" folding farm layer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dwschoon

With the current WU assignment, what is the best bang for buck system to build for F@H. Im thinking of a low multi Celeron D overclocked to at least 200fsb folding QMD's. Are there better options? I figured that at cheapest I can get cpu, mobo, and memory for $150. What would be a good Mobo with integrated video. These computers will do nothing but fold. I probably wont even put them in a case.

From my experiences the Celeron D's do to pretty good.

But the A64's do about the same and use less power (I also have one of these). It's up to you.

-Sam

If you get a Celeron D 2.26 to a 200 MHz FSB you can expect about 120ppd/GHz (about 400ppd) every day on QMDs. The A64s, limited to the current mix of WUs, will return about 60ppd/GHz on Gromacs and GBgromacs, 85ppd/GHz on Tinkers and Ambers, 125 ppd on most big WUs, and 185 to 210 ppd/GHz on p1475-p1481. Oc'd to a respectable 2.6 GHz the A64 gets blown away, on average, by the Celeron D. If QMDs run out the tables turn. The Celeron will be at around 40ppd/GHz on Gromacs, GBGromacs, Tinkers, Ambers and around 75-80 on big WUs. There is no guarantee the Celeron Ds you buy will OC to 3.4 GHz. I think you've got to get the FSB to at least 180 to avoid bottlenecking the cpu due to lack of memory bandwidth. Bottlenecked Celerons fold at about 95 ppd/GHz.

ChasR said:
<clip> If QMDs run out the tables turn. <clip>
I gather the QMDs were released to keep Intel from putting the squeeze on Stanford for showing that AMD was superior before the 800s hit the market. I know it sounds like a conspieracy but hey in todays corporate run world order you march to their drum or else!
"All my extra rig money belongs to AMD!"

I've been buying used P4 mobile Prescott's off of eBay. my last system cost 410.
(including case, keyboard, mouse, 80 gig HD, video card, 512 memory). Putting out 550 PPD.

If you really frugal, I'm sure you could get close to 300.

I've got a place in town I can pick up used CD ROM and hard drives for under 10

I looked at going the cheep way (AMD duron). It just seemed better price per point to go this way. If I fall on hard times I'm sure I can unload my 410 system for 600-700 on eBay.

Last edited:
Cheap celly d (I am using a 2.26), P4P800 (not se) board (dumpinggoods) and a 420w psu or so (I am using a 350w) oc'd to 200 with patriot 2,3,2,5 (2x256) is getting 430 to 450 PPD on qmds. SE board has the vdimm limited to 2.85 thus limiting things. P4P800 has a work around I believe.

Hmmm I still like the $150ish AMD XP mobile 2400+ on a cheap NF2 board that has integrated everything and can set FSB to 200. 2500mhz AMD XP? (Yes, please)

I am currenly looking to add to my folding computers and am running into the same problem. I really don't want to spend more than $200 on cpu, mobo and memory so what should I get? My mobile AMD XP really doesn't seem to be doing all that well. According to EMIII, my processor is getting about 250ppd @ 2.4ghz. I have been looking into some of the recent Frys deals and a 3.0ghz P4 with mobo for $150 sounds ok to me.

Is there a listing somewhere of what we can expect each type of processor to do so I can determine whether I want to stick with my AMDs or go Intel?

For long term expense (electricity+initial cost) I think the dothan reigns king. 21 watts for 1.6 ghz and overclocked to 2.8 is still under 40 watts. While on some wu's its weak (SO so on QMD's and soft on tinkers) there are some projects out there that allow mine to outperform just about anything out there at 900 ppd. Even the crappy one i got (2.4 ghz oc'd) still knocks down 750 ppd

if someone can link me to the best "bang for the buck" as far as cases go, (shipping kills me everywhere). i could add 2-3 more rigs easily.

heh, just make a run to your local hardware store and build a cheap 1/4" plywood case. Then run to your local "mom and pop" computer store and buy some ATX power switches. I have had good luck getting a handful of these for a buck or two. Of course, that is before I moved to CA, so I don't have any good resources here yet. Anyway, that is what I did to set up my folding farm.

ok, last question.. for now :)

I have two options in front of me. I either get the foxconn / celeronD combo I mentioned in my earlier post for ~$100 shipped or I can get a 3.0ghz P4 / Asrock combo for $150 shipped. Which one is the best bang for the buck?

Right now I am kindof leaning more towards the celeron combo, but I would like to know what you guys think.

well I plan to run them diskless using the LTSP client so once they are set up and stable, I can remove the video card, disable everything else and just have them run off the network. It is nice because then you don't have to have a hard drive or a cdrom drive to fold with.

Gotta tell ya that with a package deal, I would go with the p4 as the celeron d is going to need a board capable of clocking it up a good deal to get efficient production out of it. P4 is going to be the easiest solution and using clockgen you might move it up some over that 3 ghz and get some real good production out of it.

What Silver said. BTW, good to see you back Silver. At stock the P4 will outpoint the Celeron D by a lot, 140ppd/GHz to 95ppd/GHz.

Back