• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

video game design software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What Type of game? Text, DirectX, OpenGL, Java, Flash, visual basic?

You will need a 3d modler, such as 3Dstudio max, Softimage XSI, Rhino3d, or lightwave, Image editing software such as photoshop for textures

A compiler, I use microsoft studio 6, but there are free ones availalbe

There are a number of other things you need as well, but I dont know exactly what they are. You will probably want a sound editor of some sorts though.

and directX SDK might be worth picking up but I dont know about that

then you will want a professional compiler/programming suite, A nice copy of 3d modeling software. A game engine (unless you really want to code your own), a physics engine. A really nice image editing program for textures such as photoshop. nice audio editing and recording software, access to sound libraries, probably acces to texture libraries as well.

You will also need all of the stuff for coding in OpenGL if thats what you want to use (thats what doom3 used, HL2 uses dx9)

You will also need a team of other people to help you.

And if you want to do anything commercially with your game you will need full retail versions of all of this software. If you are a student and plan to kep the game a non commercial project that you don't publish, you can use the student versions. watch out as even student versions of these programs can add up quick. I think a student licensse for 3ds max is $500, Softimage XSI is $999, I dont know what photoshop is. Retail adds up VERY fast as retail 3ds max is like $3500 and retail softimage $11,000 i think. Photoshop also retails for more than $100

Also if its a new game you will probably end up coding your own software to easy making the game, basicly writing your own SDK

Have you ever made a mod for a game before?
Do you have a developed plan of what you want to do yet?

You might also want to look into trying Blitz Basic if you're not an uber programmer. I haven't used it myself, but it supposedly allows for fairly easy creation of 3d games in a BASIC-esque language.

JigPu

Back