• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duct? My (possibly retarded) plan.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

r0frog

Yeah, nothing special, but I recently found a duct sitting around my room, and figured "Hey, this could help"

So, I'm going to shove an old coolermaster AXP fan on it, and use it for exhaust, out the side window, which actually has a space for such a thing :eek:
The duct sits nice and close to the CPU fan, but it's on intake... So should I turn the CPU fan around, use the AXP fan as intake, or just leave it as is?

(Oh, forgot to mention, I have a 120mm fan exhaust in the back...)

Just wondering if there's anything I should know, or could do to improve it.

no man. ducts are awesome. we've been using ducts for a while.

Turn the axp fan around so that its on intake, then line it up with the cpu fan.

Yeah, I know they've been used for awhile... Do they actually give a good cooling boost?

I got a 2-3 degree reduction in CPU temps when I switched over to a ducted case. I had a retractable one, so I was able to get it really close to the HSF.

ducting is good if you cannot get your airflow arranged in such a manner that your CPU HSF is getting enough cool air.

Easiest way to see if you need better case cooling or a duct is to remove the side panel so that the CPU fan is getting fresh air from the room. If the temps drop with the side panel off, then you need to redo your case cooling strategy or use a duct.

Myself, I don't lower my cpu temp when i remove the side panel so I feel that I've done a good job. Other temps increase like case when side panel is off but that is normal.

yes they work, and yes you will see a drop. in my closed case my 92mm tornado running WOT was approx. 40c. after i installed a duct it went down to 35c, with the 92mm running at half speed.

Back