• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

17" and 15" LCD panels in dual setup - Will it work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

microfire

I have a 17" LCD with native resolution of 1280 x 1024
and a 15" LCD with native resolution of 1024 x 786

Is there any way I can use both of these LCD's effectivly without having to step the resolution down to 1024 x 786 on the larger 17" to match the 15" monitor? (crumby picture on the 17" otherwise)

Any use here, or should I just sell the 15" LCD and just use the 17" only.

btw. I don't have the funds to buy another screen or any hardware to speak of in general right now.

That works, but the smaller screen is a virtual size, meaning that I have to push against the corners of the screen with the mouse pointer to see the rest of the image. :shrug:

microfire...that would happen if you setup virtual screen. That's just complicated, just set each monitor to whatever res you want. I'm using 1600x1200 and 1920x1200 with no problems

got no idea what AFAIK is.

17" LCD = 1280 x 1024 which is my desktop resolution.

15" LCD = which is the screen I am trying to step down from 1280 x 1024 (this screen cannot display this res but does so by way of virtual image, hence all of the detail is there of 1280 x 1024, but it does not fit the screen, I have to push the corners of the screen with the mouse pointer to see the un-displayed areas)

Raedon said:
then just set the second monitors resolution to 1280x768

Maximum res is on 15" LCD is 1024 x768, it won't work.

What I am getting at is, is it possible to keep my native res on the 17" LCD primary display, yet run 1024 x 786 on the 15" LCD and maintain a full desktop.
I am getting to feeling it is impossible.

Will try and explain what happening with this simple picture...

---17" LCD ------ 15" LCD---

The red color is my monitor, the blue color is the viewable screen.
You will see in the primary 17" LCD monitor the image (blue) fits inside the monitor (red)
In the seconary screen the image (blue) over laps the monitor (red), thus I have to scroll with the mouse pointer to see the rest of the image. Does not fit the smaller res 15".

I am a dual screen neebie, so please forgive me, I have done some research yet I need some help here.
Trying to run to different resolutions indepenantly (if that is possible?)

Thanks.

in display properties, goto settings and set your monitor 1 to 1280x1024, and monitor 2 to 1024x768.....

if that doesn't work download ATI's hydravision..if you already have it that's probably what's causing the problem

The display properties was not working (wouldn't let me do anything, there where few options)
However I clicked on the monitor 2 icon and clicked adaptor tab, then clicked list all modes tab, change to 1024 x 768 and then I was finally able to extend the destop check box. At the same time, I got a full set of display options for this screen now.
I presume this is what is what dual display is for?
I then could drag and move programs windows into the smaller 15" display and resize them to full screen if I wish.

Is this what dual display is all about?

yup
also try www.ultramon.com
it will ad a taskbar to the other monitor....dual monitors are great for having 2 things open at once...great for lab reports or putting winamp, aim/trillian, whatever in one display and the main thing your wokring on in the other

Hey, thank you all peoples that help me out here, I really appreciate it.

So much easier than using two computers than I was before (one less keyboard and mouse, can cut and paste too).
Can already see it is good for using MS Word and the internet on the other screen for brain storming content for assigments.
Even playing a game with MSN on the other screen to see whos checking in/or leaving a message.

Different resolutions seem to work ok. Almost like having an extra piece of paper to dump things onto.

Yeah this is awesome!

Having some fun now with the possibilities.

Currently exploring Google Earth in full screen mode on the 15" LCD while doing my normal things on the 17" LCD.

Its like getting a new gadget to play with :cool:

Enjoy dual, once you learn to love it you'll never go back.... only downside is it makes upgrading monitors double the price :p

yup...if your into video, photoshop, 3d stuff, it makes life a heack of alot easier

my left is a 17" Dell, just has IMs up all day/night, but my 20" HD Trinitron (my main) i watch DVDs on it witht he woman, while keeping track of friends, email...do obnoctious renders while chatting

think someday dual monitors will become a standard?

yea my bad i meant to say 1024 by 768 sry

lol i think it will theres no way i could go back to having only one monitor, and my second is only a 17" CRT

Have decided to try out UltraMon, downloaded it and have a small problem.
It will not install, this error message below is displayed instead. Any ideas why?
File is named UltraMon26en_x32.msi

Back