• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having a Little bit of fun

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elec999

This is a small 512mb ram drive. Pretty fast, using it for my swap.
Thanks

Attachments

• 512ramdriveATTO.JPG
    512ramdriveATTO.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 84
Jeeeze! Thats some smokin' fast read & write scores! Does the ram drive have any more slots for mem upgrades? Can you post a pic so we can slobber?

krag said:
Jeeeze! Thats some smokin' fast read & write scores! Does the ram drive have any more slots for mem upgrades? Can you post a pic so we can slobber?
The program allows making the ram drive as big as I want. Also it make a image of the drive and loads it at startup. The motherboard is got all four ram slots loaded with unmatched ram sticks 512ddram each.
I got the ram app for free on google. Im not using a actual ram drive that plugs into the pci, Im using a program that makes a ramdisk.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download271.html
Thanks

Attachments

• ramdiskAPP.JPG
    ramdiskAPP.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 79
Have you tried loading any programs on it? For instance firefox/web browser or some other 'small' but commonly used application? Is there any limit in size that you can make the ramdisK?

I had tried some software not too long ago but it would only allow me to make the drive so big. and then I had problems when I got rid of the ramdrive software.

Speaking of the ram disk, any idea on iRam? Gigabyte was supposed to release this sometime ago. For those of you who don't know, it's a PCI card that takes standard PC memory cards (4 slots) and can be hooked as SATA drive. PCI provides the standby power when the PC's off and onboard battery keeps the memory alive while the PC's disconnected from power. While it'd be expensive in relation to regular hard drives, theorically the transfer speed can max out on SATA.

I'm still hoping to get this so I could install XP on it as the main boot drive and cut the load time to just a few seconds after POST. :santa: :santa: :santa:

Attachments

• card.jpg
    card.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 81
4GHZ_or_bust said:
Speaking of the ram disk, any idea on iRam? Gigabyte was supposed to release this sometime ago. For those of you who don't know, it's a PCI card that takes standard PC memory cards (4 slots) and can be hooked as SATA drive. PCI provides the standby power when the PC's off and onboard battery keeps the memory alive while the PC's disconnected from power. While it'd be expensive in relation to regular hard drives, theorically the transfer speed can max out on SATA.

I'm still hoping to get this so I could install XP on it as the main boot drive and cut the load time to just a few seconds after POST. :santa: :santa: :santa:
The ram drive costs still makes it unaffordable for me. I would love to use to boot windows off.
Thanks

YEAH! 4GHZ...thats what I was refering too. Not the same model but the same item. I was totaly unawre the there were virtual ram drives until this thread. :)

As cool as the RAM drive is....who cares if your PC boots up 10 seconds faster? Do you really shutdown your PC that often?

Small RAM drives are usefull, I use a 64mb one for firefox and winamp so they open instantly, but everything else needs to be on the HDD cuz it's so big (pretty much just video games).

Also, that's like 4gb of RAM you'd need to use! Oh and PCI is limited to 133mb/s....meaning a 15k U320 SCSI drive would be faster.

ajrettke said:
As cool as the RAM drive is....who cares if your PC boots up 10 seconds faster? Do you really shutdown your PC that often?

Small RAM drives are usefull, I use a 64mb one for firefox and winamp so they open instantly, but everything else needs to be on the HDD cuz it's so big (pretty much just video games).

Also, that's like 4gb of RAM you'd need to use! Oh and PCI is limited to 133mb/s....meaning a 15k U320 SCSI drive would be faster.

Well the iRAM card is more about reducing seek times to near zero and obtaining transfer rates at a continuous 133Mb/s instead of just peaking.

But anyway I think they cost ~$150 when it finally did come out (when initially rumors put it around $50) plus then you need at least 4 x 1Gb sticks to make any usefulness out of it, so yes, it is still cost prohibiting...

Back