• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

700MHz Celeron borg-worthy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KrisMCool

I'm repairing / updating / optimizing a work computer that sees mostly browser use and not much else. It's a Dell L700cx - 700MHz Celeron (Coppermine, 66MHz bus - bleh!), 128MB PC100 RAM 2-2-2-6 running at 66MHz, integrated video. I'm considering borging it, but if it won't keep up with time-limited WUs then I won't bother. Aside from the lack of processing power, this computer's worst bottleneck is its horrible bus speed. More memory doesn't help; already upgraded it from 64MB to 128(big help) / 192(128+64, doesn't help much, maybe a little). Give me your opinions, but keep in mind that I won't borg it just because I can. It has to be worth it, meaning no timeless WUs.

I've got a 800mhz AMD borg & it completes WU's with 2 days to spare usually.

has 128 mb ram. 66mhz Bus too.

It'll be a creaper, but it'll get the job done.

I've tried machines in the 100FSB buss class and just found that they ate more juice than anything else. I do have 2 mobos that are 133FSB p3-800 and p3-1.2 that I plan to run when it gets cold. I will say it does'nt hurt to fold with the equipment that you have but you may have to put some of them on timeless tinkers.
KrisMCool, Speeking of the CL2 memory, if you could find an Asus of similar mobo you might be able to get some OC. I doubt the Dell will let you mess with the timings unless you flash the bios (dangerous as it may wack out the board).

@ Kris
About 30 ppd on timeless Tinkers. Your call on whether it's worth it or not.

I have 2 700s running at workone does okay for some reason the other is much slower.
I have a couple of 700's at home but I dont bother with them.

I'm going to let it fold for a while and see how it does. Though nobody said it directly, it sounds like most of you think it should be set up for timeless WUs. I'm trying to avoid that. Right now, the first WU it got is a GBgromac. If it doesn't make the deadline, I guess I'll switch to timeless WUs.

BTW, is there any way to convert the file system from FAT32 to NTFS on W2K Pro? Disk ops are painfully slow on this rig, and I'm wondering how much the file system has to do with that. I'm spoiled by my own rigs. ;)

I have several celerons that I fold with. Ive found that just about all sub 1ghz intel cpus get more production on timeless tinkers than anything else. Even if they have sse, they still get more ppd on tinkers than gromacs. You should borg it for YATTA.

what is the story with timeless tinkers? how do you set up these par 1ghz borgs? i might have to crucnh for yatta :D

jstutman said:
what is the story with timeless tinkers? how do you set up these par 1ghz borgs? i might have to crucnh for yatta :D

are you using the graphical or text client? On the graphical client, you just go to configure, and enable timeless packets. I dont know how on the text.

jstutman said:

open the client.cfg file in notepad. Change "type=1" to "type=2". This sets it to receive timeless units.

Back