• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

s940 and s939

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Different processors for each platform. For the near future, s940 will be aimed towards server/workstation machines. s939 will be for the desktop. :)

J.

Socket940 is home for most Opterons and the aging FX-51 and FX-53 CPUs.
Socket939 is home for just about everything else, from Newcastles to Winchesters to Venices to San Diegos. FX-55 and FX-57 both live here.

-They are not cross-compatible
-Socket940 motherboards usually don't have much in the way of overclocking, while Socket939 does.

:)

The pinout is the same, except S939 is missing one pin. If I remember correctly, the missing pin is used to detect the presence of a CPU in the socket (usefull in multi-CPU systems).

people are working on getting 939 chips to work in 940 boards but no one has come up with a solution yet

The pin 939 chips are missing is the registered ram pin.

If you arnt planning on running multiple CPUs I would say there is no advantage to using socket 940. I suppose server boards with PCI-X are way easier to find for socket 940, but unless you need PCI-X or multiple CPUs you wont really find any advantages. + with socket 940 you will have to buy registered ram wich is much more expensive

Back