• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

apartment 802.11

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ducttapedominic

Registered
i live next to a apartment complex and the 802.11 signals are every where but weak.

since i dont have the wireless routers in hand, but can access the interfaces, i need a simple/cheap way to leach off the singal.

i have looked into the linksys repeater but success rate is about 50/50.

would love the support.
dom

is this a connection provided by the apartment complex? or are you trying to steal a neighbor's connection? if you're trying to steal it, i reccomend against it, it can involve legal prosecution in the US. the govt considers it hacking (gaining unauthorized access to a network) and you can get into lots of troubles.

if its provided by the apt complex and you have full permission ot use it, i reccomend usin g a directional antenna of sorts, the cheapest being a parabolic reflector made from pper and tin foil (http://www.freeantennas.com) or a lil more but a 19 db gain parabolic dish antenna from hyperlinktech.com along with the proper pigtail for your device. the higher the gai nthe stronger the signal will be, but in my experience the 24s are harder to aim, and start gettin too big to be convenient. after that, if you want a good wireless to ethernet bridge, i reccomend the senao CB3+ deluxe, its a good radio with a 200mw output, seem to have nice recieve sensitivity as well.

Back