• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm getting close to shooting the W3C validator in the head!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RJARRRPCGP

Lately, I have been having the following problems with the W3C web page validator:

It ALWAYS reports errors with every web page I tested!!!

Even when a web page seems to be working properly.

It's been always reporting an error in the syntax, like it can't read any web page right lately. Usually, blaming it on an extra space and/or a missing character everytime, to the point that I suspect it not reading web pages properly.

I also saw errors being reported for a web page created with the Mozilla Suite Composer!!! WTF!!! :mad:

theres always a chance there be an error in my oppinion, but i neer really use it lol why because i know there are errors in my pages ive only just got back into web design and at uni now learning more ;)

Just because a site appears to be working properly dosen't mean that it's HTML isn't valid. Browsers usually can handle quite a bit of mangling of the HTML before things go awry, so the problem may be harder to spot.

To test if the validator is acting up though, I ran my site through it (which I always try to keep valid) and it's not having any issues. Definatly sounds like issues on your end.

JigPu

Try submitting any major site and chances are you'll get errors. Sometimes writing proper code slows down processing.

I'm wondering if the validator is currently broken? It seems to be choking on every web page ATM. Like the data is getting corrupted when it's reading them.

What are some pages you're testing? There are very few sites with valid HTML out there (I'd bet less than 1%), so like Ebola said it will choke on seemingly everything. Heck, it chokes on some sites that claim to be valid HTML (probably because of an edit since adding the notice). If your're testing your own HTML, paste it here and mabey we can find the problem.

JigPu

RJARRRPCGP said:
I also saw errors being reported for a web page created with the Mozilla Suite Composer!!! WTF!!!

Just because the WSIWYG was created by Mozilla is no guarantee that the code rendered will be compliant. The purpose of the W3C validator is for developers to be able to analyze their code and learn how to make it compliant. It takes work and patience, but if you agree with the mission/concept of the W3C, it's all worth it to ensure that your pages will be usable in the years to come.

Ebola said:
... Sometimes writing proper code slows down processing.

As in the lazy developer does not wish to take the time to write valid code?

I suppose that I'm an exception to this rule as I routinely validate every page I create. Given that I have 43,885 pages online to date for over 150 customers. That's quite a bit of validating, but I believe my customers are worth it.

Back