• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The 5 Reasons Why Blu-Ray Will Win

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
sorry for the dumb question but what is blu-ray? from reading another thread i kind of understand what vista is, according to the other thread its an os similar to mac osx.

It'll be just another -R vs +R vs -RAM when DVD burner format war started up a few years ago. Nowday most burners work with both - and + format while DVD-RAM format flounders and are in danger of joining BETA as the undersupported and overpriced format. My current burner does burn everything but DVD-RAM although it can read DVD-RAM

can bluray and hd-dvd theoretically be burned using the same drive (i know theyre not out yet, but are the processes similar enough to have a drive that does both?)? so we can just have a dvd+/-r type choice?

Vrykyl said:
can bluray and hd-dvd theoretically be burned using the same drive (i know theyre not out yet, but are the processes similar enough to have a drive that does both?)? so we can just have a dvd+/-r type choice?
I don't know the specifics, but I'd say yes. Both use the same lasers, both are in the same form factor (which is the same as DVDs/CDs). So theoreticaly a multi format drive is possible. Its going to bea looong while before we have Blu-Ray or HD-DVD burners though. From what I've heard HD-DVD/Blu-Ray drives will start hitting the market next year and will be backwards compatible with DVD-ROM and CD-ROM.

i am gonna stay with dvd due to the fact XBOX 360 will support the HD-DVD/DVD-/+R/RW while the PS3 suppossdly use blue ray and PS3 wont be out until early 2007 at the earliest and still wont be that much stronger then the xbox 360 (hehe thats why i like micrsoft willing to take a hit on price(they only make about 25 dollars on the core system) the sells of the machine to put out great solid games (EA excluded :shrug: ) and for all you ps2 fanboys say bye bye to Square they are comeing to the darkside and joining xbox 360

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=410772

woo hooooooooooooooooo

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12373

Quote:
Samsung to launch dual standard Blu-ray/HD-DVD player
Posted by Jan Willem on 06 September 2005 - 18:32 - Source: Yahoo.com

Usually new standards are created by Japanese, US and European companies, they reserve a certain amount of money for Research and Development (R&D), create the standards and receive license fees in return. Taiwanese and South Korean companies, like Lite-On, BenQ, LG and Samsung pay a license fee in order to make the technology and start mass production. This is slowly changing and also Taiwanese and South Korean are getting more influence in the standards, but usually they have difficulties in picking one and usually back several standards.

It worked the same with the DVD recordable format, none of the Taiwanese did really pick either the DVD-R or DVD+R side but rather supported both. Samsung seems to continue this tradition when it comes to the new blue-laser formats, Blu-ray and HD-DVD as the company has announced it will launch a player that supports both format in case both camps can't agree on one format.

Samsung's head of consumer electronics, Choi Gee-sung, told the Financial Times Deutschland: "We would welcome a unified standard but if this doesn't come, which looks likely, we'll bring a unified solution to market."

"It won't be simple but you'll see our solution in the coming year. Consumers will be too confused otherwise," he added in the interview published on Tuesday. Samsung is a backer of blu-ray, which promises higher capacity than HD DVD and better interactivity and security.

But supporting all standards -- as Samsung has done with cellphones and mobile video -- could give it an advantage in the multibillion-dollar market for DVD players, PC drivers and optical disks.

Several people have already opted that Blu-ray would be a great format for games and other software, while HD-DVD would be the best format for

LoneWolf121188 said:
Early 06, you mean? 360 is slated for november 20-something of this year, PS3 is spring 06.
Yes. It is supposed to be launched spring 06.

The better product does not always win in the battle for market. If enough big players line up against Blu-Ray it will be another Betamax, which was also a superior product.
FYI Samsung has already anounced it will bring ou a DVD recorder that will work with both formats.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Why Microsoft Hates Blu-ray |
| from the daggers-drawn dept. |
| posted by Zonk on Friday October 07, @18:40 (Movies) |
| http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/07/216247 |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+

An anonymous reader writes "The private feud just became public.
Apparently, [0] Gates yelled at Sony's CEO because the new copy protection Blu-ray has adopted would prevent players from streaming content to the Xbox 360. Since the PS3 will have Blu-ray support but the Xbox 360 only has a plain DVD drive, this means PS3 will be the only console that can play HD movies. Also, Paramount just announced support for Blu-ray and [1] Warner Brothers may also jump ship. Will VHS vs.
Betamax turn out differently this time?"

Discuss this story at:
http://games.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=05/10/07/216247

Links:
0. http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2005/tc2005106_9074_tc024.htm
1. http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2005/tc2005105_6128_tc024.htm

rseven said:
The better product does not always win in the battle for market. If enough big players line up against Blu-Ray it will be another Betamax, which was also a superior product.
FYI Samsung has already anounced it will bring ou a DVD recorder that will work with both formats.

and laserdisc, and wasn't there some 48khz digital audio disc that sony came up with that was better spec than cd, oh er and minidisc. mind you i hope that both hd disc formats flop.

>HyperlogiK< said:
and laserdisc, and wasn't there some 48khz digital audio disc that sony came up with that was better spec than cd, oh er and minidisc. mind you i hope that both hd disc formats flop.
The audio you are refering to was Digital Compact Cassette (DCC). Yep, I have one of those. I had a Betamax too. Fortunately, unlike the Betamax, I bought it for super cheap after the bottom fell out of the market.

Back