• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DELL 2005 is old new now, Gateway has release a new monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

omniskillz

DELL 2005 is old news, Gateway has released a new monitor

http://www.mobilewhack.com/home_theater/reviews/lcd_tv/

21 inch wide screen, HDCP compliant. ready for xbox360 hook up :)

and only 599. even though SLED is set for release in 2006 I think i'll be happy with this monitor, been waiting for the 2405 but i think ill go with this, looks better IMHO then the Dells.

some believe the panel to be a samsung S-PVA ,a perfect match for the panel

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TFTLCD/Monitors_n_Industrial/LTM210M2/LTM210M2.htm

Last edited:
Not bad!
Does gateway give coupons like dell? Definetly an option if it comes down below 500

no gateway doesnt have coupons, but they sell this monitor @ BEST BUY.

i am going to buy it using their card so i get atleast 6 months no finance charges which is about as good as a discount for me. sometimes they have 18 months no finance charges for items 299 and up, they just had it this past week, dunno if it will continue this week.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat01013&id=1125466651583

u can check to see if they have it in stock at ur local best buy.. do store pick up. or u can just order from website and have it delivered to ur store for no shipping fees. theres a store close to me that has it, gonna try and pick it up tomorrow and if i can ill post pics

yeah, its hdcp ready.... read the specs :) supports 420p 1080i and 720p
picture in picture so u can watch tv and use computer or xbox etc...

this is nice, i was gonna get a 20" dell to go along with my 24" but this looks tempting, hate to mix and match though... Hopefully the competition will force some newer, better and cheaper lcds onto the market (at least thats how it supposed to go)

Wow, it has 30 extra horizontal lines! And a DCDi input that no-one will use when connected to their PC! Go Gateway, go Gateway! :p

Sure is a nice monitor, but they haven't really done anything revolutionary, seeing as you could find the 2005fpw for nearly half the price...

:)

but...but....I just bought a 2005fpw!

The specs sound better than the 2005fpw, and the retail is $100 cheaper. Definitly made to compete with the 2005fpw. I'd love to see a heads-up review of this and the 2005fpw.

Also, another major factor with this new Gateway screen, is that it'll ONLY be available in the U.S., Gateway pulled out it's European headquarters from Ireland around 5 years ago, they only sell in America now.

That has to be a MAJOR factor in the success of this screen.

well i have it right now, didnt come with dvi cable, but none the less the quality of the monitor is awesome, i have seen the 2005fpw at a dell kiosk in a mall and i must say this monitor blows it away, much better dark and visible from a wide angle. one fuss i have is one dead pixel bottom left. backlight bleeding is very minimal havent yet noticed it and ofcourse no dvi cable :(

gaming cs:s was awesome. this 21inch is plenty big i think 24 would of been too big. gonna run some tests hope i can put up some screenies for u all. i realize dell 2005fpw can be had now for 394 + tax and maybe even cheaper later. I never liked the dell design or dell period. but seeing as this is a samsung s pva panel and a new monitor to hit the streets i took the plunge, i have 14 days to take it back to best buy for a full refund, contemplating if i wanna get another one cause of one dead pixel. anyone got links to any sites for calibrating or testing a lcd monitor?

Nice to see someone with one of these new monitors. Could you post some pics of it in action? The gateway seems like real competition for the 2005FPW. Especially if it goes on sale any time in the near future (i.e. around Christmas).

Do you notice any issues with ghosting when playing Counterstrike? This monitor looks extremely tempting.

absolutely no ghosting in cs:s , but im only pushing 30 fps or so at this resolution and 2x aa and 4x af in cs:s i now need a new rig :)

I did a quick comparison of the spec on the Gateway FPD2185W and the Dell 2005FPW.

Max Resolution: 1680x1050
same for both

Color: 16.7 millions
same for both

Brightness (typical): 300cd/m2
same for both

Contrast Ratio
Gateway: 1000:1
Dell: 600:1

Response Time
Gateway: 8 ms grey-to-grey
Dell: 12ms grey-to-grey, 16ms black-to-white

HDCP compliant <-- This is important for future compatibility for displaying encrypted HD video via DVI port.
Gateway: YES
Dell: NO (the Dell 2405FPW is also NO)

Connections and Inputs
Both have Analog D-sub, DVI, composite video, S-video, 4 USB 2.0 ports
Gateway has component Y Pb Pr support, Dell 2005FPW does not have.
(The Dell 2405FPW have compoent Y Pb Pr support though).

So the Gateway looks better on spec.

http://www.gateway.com/programs/lcd/
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?TabPage=techspecs&sku=320-4111&c=us&l=en&cs=19

being that it is a s-pva panel the colors are much richer and i was watching LOST HD on this monitor and its amazing. again i need to find the cable for my digital camera to upload pictures so u guys can see.

but i did see backlight bleeding in the 4 corners and is this normal where u see on the edges and corners a purplish violet discoloration? i mean is there something that i could have done to cause discoloration like that?

but so far other than having no dvi cable, one dead pixel, i have no problems with this monitor. i will be calling my cable company and getting a HD cable box so i can connect it to this monitor and see how that goes.

and it does suck that the monitor stretches out games that cant go widescreen like quake 3. in the manual it says u can change video to keep it 4:3 with blackbars on side but thats only thru direct video input ahhh its late. but tomorrow im gonna be getting a dvi cable and also checking to see if they got another monitor in cause i want to get a flawless one :)

omniskillz said:
and it does suck that the monitor stretches out games that cant go widescreen like quake 3. in the manual it says u can change video to keep it 4:3 with blackbars on side but thats only thru direct video input ahhh its late. but tomorrow im gonna be getting a dvi cable and also checking to see if they got another monitor in cause i want to get a flawless one :)
You can force older games with the Quake 3 engine to display widescreen by increasing the field-of-view (fov) using either the console or changing the .cfg files. By default, most games have fov set to 90. By changing the value to 110 or so, it expands your viewing angle to fill in the extra horizontal screen space. It may not be a "perfect" widescreen solution, but it definitely looks better than a stretched 4:3 aspect or letterbox mode IMO. My stepfather-in-law has a 2005FPW and I helped him to get Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory running in widescreen using this method. Here is a good place to find information about running older games in widescreen:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/

hitechjb1 said:
I did a quick comparison of the spec on the Gateway FPD2185W and the Dell 2005FPW.

Max Resolution: 1680x1050
same for both

So the Gateway looks better on spec.

The Gateway has 1080 lines, the Dell has 1050, hence the Gateway is able to support true High Definition.

However, a mere 30 extra lines makes essentially no difference what-so-ever, and .9" of an inch more and a host of connections that virtually no-one will use hardly justifies the large price difference between it and the Dell.

I guess i'm just defending my 2005fpw, lol, but i'd still go for the Dell if I had to buy again.

:)

Back