• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP-90C sufficient for a LGA775 @ 4GHz+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TWY

Wonder if a Thermalright XP-90C is sufficient for a P4 600 series at 4.2GHz and a bit more? :shrug: Will be using a Thermaltake SilentCat, which pushes about 50CFM of air.

Saw that the Zalman CNPS-7700Cu is pretty common here also. :) So I'm wondering whether to pick a XP-90C + SilentCat combo, or go straight for the CNPS-7700Cu?

The XP-90C (with the right fan) will cool better than the Zalman. I don't know anything about the "Silentcat" fan, but it looks like you might need more CFM for a high overclock.

I have a 630 and the XP-90 w/ 85 cfm fan and have more than enough room to get into 4GHZ. XP-90c and good fan would do even better.

batboy said:
The XP-90C (with the right fan) will cool better than the Zalman. I don't know anything about the "Silentcat" fan, but it looks like you might need more CFM for a high overclock.

I wouldn't want a louder system though... Trying to get the best heatsink around for quiet but effective operation. I personally do not really like the Big Typhoon though. :eek:

I've got a 92mm Delta Extreme over an XP-90C and if you are concerned with noise don't be. The difference between running the fan @ 2100RPM and full speed @ 5100RPM's got me a 2C difference it made more of an impact on the ambient then on the processor, 4C. It's extremely efficient at cooling and needless to say the extra 2C wasnt worth the fighter jet characteristics at full speed, it's silent at 2100 and that's where it stays.

Wonder if there's any direction I should mount the XP-90C if I were to get it? I was wondering whether if mounting the heatsink, with the heatpipes facing the PCIe slot would be a good way. I don't really wish to mount the heatsink with the heatpipes horizontal to the surface (when the case is standing) because I can either cool the PWM only, or if I flip the sink the other way round, cool the DDR-II only.

From the images at Thermalright, it seems that you can mount the LGA775 RM in any direction that you want to?

:shrug:

And yeah, I'm waiting for the NeoHE to arrive in Singapore as well. :D

Yeah the new generation Thermalrights (XP's and SI's) don't need to be mounted in any specific orientation to the mobo.

Back