• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Core skt 939 Opterons?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vrykyl

Tornado Guy
Ok, so iv just spotted a dual core skt939 opteron in stock here - http://www.cpucityshop.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=889 and a whole range of them in stock in germany...but the price tag on them is massive! What im wondering is what makes them so special that theyre worth all that extra £££? Take the 165 from the link above - 200mhz slower stock speeds than my x2 3800+, albeit with 2x 1mb cache rather than 2x512kb...but its over £100 more than my x2... is there something about these I should know??

:shrug:

Opterons are supposed to be much more expensive than desktop chips. They go throughly much more testing and validation. The big question is: why are the 144s and 146s priced so competitively? Just appreciate the sweet deal we are getting on the single cores and don't expect a similar situation to appear for the duals.

but do they overclock better than regular x2's?

They might. No one has one of these yet, so it could be anyone's guess right now.
In theory they should overclock at least somewhat better as they pass a more rigorous testing and using better silicon...

They will probably overclock about as well as the x2 that costs the same amount of money. (which will have a stock speed ~400mhz faster)

Back