• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which will win?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thats a crappy resolution but ill go geforce. better drivers and if its in XP you know its gonna be Nvidia

the radeon will have a slight edge. in 16bit the GTS will crush the radeon, but in 32bit and 1024x768 and up res the radeon will be a bit faster than the GTS. thank ATi's hyper-z for that.

It would be in Windows XP. Are the detonater xp drivers going to make the gts fly over the radeon?

cricket said:
I'd go with the GeForce 2 Pro...
except he said gts the pro and gts are completely different the radeon and gts are both around 60-70$ and the pro is about 110-140$......also the radeon drivers have been improved and the performance loss in XP should be minimal......just because the drivers have xp in the name dont make it special......

Quizno said:
the radeon will have a slight edge. in 16bit the GTS will crush the radeon, but in 32bit and 1024x768 and up res the radeon will be a bit faster than the GTS. thank ATi's hyper-z for that.

That is funny, (lmao) the radeon will NEVER be faster than the GeForce. (no matter what 16 or 32 bit)It isin't even clocked as fast as the Geforce. Even thought the quality "MAY" be better which i have yet to see. ( I own both a GeForce 2 Pro 64, and a Radeon 64 VIVO) and so far both cards look the same, and the Geforce absolutely STOPMS the Radeon in to ground, due to higher clock speeds and BETTER DRIVERS, the Radeon drivers are a joke. No matter what res or color setings the GeForce will win and i be tmy LIFE on it, 99% of all Radeons wont even overclock to match GeForce's default clock settings. My Geforce is 200/400,, Radoen is 183/366 i think. And i barely makes it to 200/400 and still lacks over 2000 3dmark points due to drivers.:D

LOL [OC] Jason, yeah I do have some of the benches on the popular games to back you up your forceful claim. I do have to admit that GF2 GTS does indeed outperform ATI Radeon DDR. I didn't think the GF2 would beat Radeon 64DDR on the high res 32bit color on the following games neither but the test shows it that it's quite not. heehee..

March 22, 2001 Anandtech report

Test Setup and configuration:

Q3A 1024x/32bit

image004.gif

Q3A 1600x/32bit

image006.gif

MDK2 1024x/32bit

Click...

MDK2 1600x/32bit

MDK2_1600.gif

Serious Sam 1024x/32bit

SS_1024.gif

UT 1024x/32bit Average FPS

UT_avg_1024.gif

UT 1600x/16bit Minimum FPS

UT_min_1600.gif

Last edited:
see beaten like a Red Headed Stepchild (just a redneck saying) in EVERY test, not just by a little by ALOT. maybe those test are biased in some way but i doubt it, dont get me wrong Radeon does have better detail, and i even notice it in my quality pics on my desktop, but still the less detail is worth the extra FPS, Radeon was beaten by like over 25FPS average or so. Im not a readeon hater just a geforce lover LOL

hehe.. that's why I posted the link "Test setup and configuration". it lists all the setup, all not overclocked neither the system nor video cards and with each video cards' latest drivers. so yes.. I believe it's fairly fair comparison and it is rather reputable review site of anandtech, heehee.. :D

oh and just to let others know.. I am not a biased nvidia fan neither. I haven't said I hate ATI neither. i just see what both companies progress with the vid cards' performance. I go after what suits my needs which is the raw FPS and 3D game graphics quality. I do ..would like to have a nice crisp clean 2D image and impressive video support on the Radeon so I can't say it's so bad. :p

[OC] Jason said:

That is funny, (lmao) the radeon will NEVER be faster than the GeForce. (no matter what 16 or 32 bit)It isin't even clocked as fast as the Geforce. Even thought the quality "MAY" be better which i have yet to see. ( I own both a GeForce 2 Pro 64, and a Radeon 64 VIVO) and so far both cards look the same, and the Geforce absolutely STOPMS the Radeon in to ground, due to higher clock speeds and BETTER DRIVERS, the Radeon drivers are a joke. No matter what res or color setings the GeForce will win and i be tmy LIFE on it, 99% of all Radeons wont even overclock to match GeForce's default clock settings. My Geforce is 200/400,, Radoen is 183/366 i think. And i barely makes it to 200/400 and still lacks over 2000 3dmark points due to drivers.:D

Here is a quote from www.anandtech.com . Jason you mention you have a Radeon 64 ddr with the 183 setting. that can not clock as high as a Geforce. Three versions of Radeon 64 DDR cards were made with differnet settings and ram 1) 166/166 6ns 2) 183/183 5.5 3) 198/198 5ns ram. The last card is the newest Radeon produced called SE. This quote is based on the 183 radeon 64 ddr showing it can be overclocked higher than a stock and possibly overclocked GTS2 card.

"As suspected, performance jumped significantly when the 183 MHz DDR memory was pushed higher. Rated at 5.5 ns, the RAM was running at its speced speed, however, as in the past, we were able to push the Hyundai SDRAM chips even further. With PowerStrip pushing up the memory clock speed, we were able to get the DDR SDRAM chips up to 205 MHz DDR for an effective memory clock speed of 410 MHz. At this speed were were finally able to see the true power of the Radeon's core, as performance kept increasing as the memory clock was pushed higher and higher."

I have a Radeon running at 220/220 which should put the memory clock speed around 440, this is with a stock sink and fan , and no artifacting occuring after a 30 minute session of UT at 1024x768 32 bit. There are others higher, Quizno has a Radeon SE 64 vivo at 246/246 meaning memory should be around 490 or higher I am assuming.

Also make note that when using a video card with DDR memory the mhz rating is effectively double the speed, so that 200mhz =400mhz in data throughput, at least in theory

Check the link look what one can do for the Radeon fans

http://www.inventive3d.net/Reviews/RadeonViVo/RreviewP3.htm

Faster than you think.....

Cisco Kid

:D :cool: :cool:

Back