• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x800xl locking up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thegrouch

Ive had my system setup for almost a month and i havent really noticed any problems until a few days ago. i would be playing cs source and all of a sudden my screen would freeze, and after a little while i would be able to alt-tab out of the game to my desktop. There was a vpu recover window that would say my vpu stopped responding to graphics commands. It also says that my vpu has been reset. My card is not overclocked and using stock cooling. I have a window fan blowing air on my computer as well so i dont think its a heat issue. i also unistalled and reinstalled the latest driver 5.9. Do i need to rma this card :shrug:

the ati driver recommends sp2 or higher, but right now im using a pirated version of windows that has no updates whatsoever (i know this is a bad idea). could this be part of the problem

this happens to me in farcry only everything else plays fine.Iam using a 9600xt tho i have renistalled the drivers to and the prob stays me need help to!!!!!!!!!

im willing to bet that the lock ups are caused by heat. most stock cards have bad coolers, especialy ati cards. they figure most people are going to use aftermarket coolers. so they put the bare minumum which isnt enough.

Back