• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB.20 external optical drive OK for first boot??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d3v

Hi all, does anyone know if using an external USB2.0 optical drive will work at first boot on a new PC or is it essential that I get an internal IDE optical drive?

You mean to boot from? Should be OK as logn as you change the boot order in the BIOS and change it to something like USB-CD-Drive instead of IDE-Device or Cd-Drive or whatever.

Cap'n Pedro said:
You mean to boot from? Should be OK as logn as you change the boot order in the BIOS and change it to something like USB-CD-Drive instead of IDE-Device or Cd-Drive or whatever.

Bear in mind that it will be connected to a USB2.0 and I don't think Windows automaticly loads USB2.0 driver.

And also bear in mind that I mean FIRST BOOT EVER! To reformat...

d3v said:
Bear in mind that it will be connected to a USB2.0 and I don't think Windows automaticly loads USB2.0 driver.
then windows will use it as a 1.1 device.

And also bear in mind that I mean FIRST BOOT EVER! To reformat...
THen all that matters is that your board can boot from it, and that's in the correct place in the boot order (as selected in the bios). This is bios/motherboard dependant.

Back