• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I send large files?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
torrent it man. probably the fastest for all of you if its everyone getting the same stuff. or you could make a litlle ftp site or something and just have em go there, but then you need a server setup on you puter.

my friend is a CS map maker when he comes out with a new version of his map or something he sets up an apache webserver on his PC and just lets us DL straight from his machine. You could do that, basically set up apache to run on your machine and have all your friends connect. Keep in mind that on a cable modem sending 20 gigs to multiple people will take FOREVER, I also think bit torrent would be the best way because all the upload strain isn't only on you. Zip everything you are gonna send into one big package and then torrent it to your friends. Good luck.

20gb is a lot, especially over the internet. Unless you have incredible up speeds, we're talking days, probably weeks.

It would almost be easier to just burn everything to dvd's and snail-mail them. They'd probably get there quicker than over the internet.

Creating a torrent is a good idea though. That way if the connection is broke, you can always resume it later. It will also check file integrity, so you won't transfer any partial files by accident. The speeds will also increase with more users. Each user that's downloading will also upload to each other, which will increase overall speed.

Bios24 said:
Creating a torrent is a good idea though. That way if the connection is broke, you can always resume it later. It will also check file integrity, so you won't transfer any partial files by accident. The speeds will also increase with more users. Each user that's downloading will also upload to each other, which will increase overall speed.

I completely agree.

On that note...

Does anyone have or know of any good information on setting up your own torrents for transfering files amongst friends/family? Do you need a tracker, or could one just create the .torrent file and then send that to a friend and have them open it to start the transfer?

I only know about BT from a client standpoint. (ie. connecting to a public or existing tracker)

You need to have a tracker, though some clients (such as Azureus) ship with one by defaut. I don't know anything about creating a torrent, though supposedly it's not too hard with Azureus.

JigPu

JigPu said:
You need to have a tracker, though some clients (such as Azureus) ship with one by defaut. I don't know anything about creating a torrent, though supposedly it's not too hard with Azureus.

JigPu

I noticed that with Azureus, it seemed to have an option for torrenting with out a public tracker.

Making a torrent file is ridiculously easy. You go to File, and then New Torrent. Just follow the menus and stuff. It's a breeze. :)

...guess it's time to setup a server and mess around with running my own tracker :D

Back