• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dsl ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sparkee

Registered
I just ordered verizon dsl services, and since I'm new to networking ,i need to know if i need a hardware firewall , to connect just one pc for now, or does the dsl modem have a firewall? i do have windows software firewall enabled.
Thanx... :shrug:

Hard to say about the DSL modem having a firewall. I have DSL and the service included a routing modem that is a firewall because I can configure it to be so, It also has logging and other stuff.

I guess you need to contact Verizon and see what type of modem it is.

I also use a software Firewall that monitors all programs-all ports for outgoing traffic, I don't believe XP Firewall does that.

If you just have a plain modem it doesn't have a firewall. I just spits out an ip address. I would run a software firewall though. If you are parinoid about security you can run a hardware firewall, but I wouldn't worry about it.

If you plan on creating a home network, most routers have a built-in firewalls. So you can always have the extra security then.

Thanx turd, forgot to mention i use zone alarm as well with no probs thus far.
Tried contacting verizon, but the darn voice automated sys. s***ked..no help there!
And thanx bios24 I got it! :)

Your welcome and just noticed you are new member so welcome to the forums.

Back