• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why did you do this Nvidia?!??!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joeteck

Retired
Oh, the card is awesome, don't get me wrong..

But why oh why, did Nvidia make this card with memory on both sides of the card????? That was just plain stupid! The 6800 has all 256MB on one side. Why did they change it?? It makes over clocking this card a real pain in the butt. While the other 128MB of GDDR3 is covered so nicely with a heat pipe and fan, the other side is scolding hot.. Stupid...Stupid....Stupid...

dicecca112 said:
so put some ramsinks on it. if you have good case flow it should be fine with the ram sinks

Just another thing to buy... I bet that's what the Ultra will have. All the RAM on one side...

Yeah, I was curious too. Couldnt they just have it all on one side, then when 512mb cards come out, just use higher densidy chips?

DickH said:
Yeah, I was curious too. Couldnt they just have it all on one side, then when 512mb cards come out, just use higher densidy chips?
THats because if I recall Samsung BJxx wasnt available at the time the GTX was concieved.

Thats not the point.... Will they make new cards with the samsung chips??

So would everyone agree, it is a bad design?

crimedog said:
they wouldn't have left them uncovered if they couldn't handle the heat :rolleyes:

the ram is not uncovered on the back of the card, it has a C shaped bracket on it, probly with thermal tape under it.

so do you think they will have a second revision with all of the ram on the same side?

True, but thats hardly what the other side has...... A nice healthly heat sink with Heat pipes.... The back has a thin alumimum plate with no fins....Did I miss something?

Honestly, I think you are complaining about nothing. If you are running into any heat-related issues, just buy some Ramsinks. They are very cheap, can be found at many e-tailer sites, and should do the trick just fine.

Why whine about something a ~$5-10 purchase can fix?

deception``

Joeteck said:
I thought that what forums are for??? Whine about what you need help with....

What's there to complain about? All you need is some ramsinks, which are very inexpensive and easily available. But to create an entire rant against NVIDIA/ATI or any third-party vendor for putting memory IC's on the back of a card is completely ridiculous. Bottom line is that your card runs fine (which you said yourself in your first post) and some ramsinks will solve any heat issues you have, unless you'd prefer to have a heatsink on both sides of the video card :rolleyes:

If you need help finding ramsinks, I will gladly steer you in the right direction. Outside of that, it's really a waste of time to complain.

deception``

jtracc20 said:
mark me if i am wrong but isnt the ram all on one side on the BFG 6800GT? cause mine is.....

it's only the 7800 series that puts half the ram chips on the back of the card (whenever they come out with 512mb cards they will fill in the empty spots). i guess he doesn't even OWN a 7800 and he's complaining about it :rolleyes:

bottom line: four ram chips don't create much heat (heck, they're not even close to each other) and it runs fine without any active cooling.

My geuss is they wanted to stick with a single slot design initially. So if they were to put all the Ramsinks on one side of the card, they would require better cooling on one side of the card, which would probably require two slots. And everyone knows taht if they did do that, with a two slot design, you would also whine about it taking up two slots. So which is better to you?? Either way, someone is gonna have a problem with it.

Just go buy some ramsinks man... or make a mod, thats what these forums are for. And i dont think you were asking for help, you were simply stating what you viewed as a design flaw.

No, these forums arent to complain, there to help overclockers, modders, newcomers, etc.

But sure, if you want help with cooling the card, im sure youll find it here. :)

Joeteck said:
Oh, the card is awesome, don't get me wrong..

But why oh why, did Nvidia make this card with memory on both sides of the card????? That was just plain stupid! The 6800 has all 256MB on one side. Why did they change it?? It makes over clocking this card a real pain in the butt. While the other 128MB of GDDR3 is covered so nicely with a heat pipe and fan, the other side is scolding hot.. Stupid...Stupid....Stupid...

How do you know its scolding hot if you don't own one? Also, the Nvidia engineers probably had a reason to put the memory on the other side of the card, the reason may be what Sentential mentioned (he usually know a bit more than most with video cards, well he knows more than me for sure), or perhaps they found the card ran cooler with half the chips on the backside. Perhaps it runs cooler, not hotter as you suggested. In any event, if a person has one they can simply buy a set of copper ramsinks, and slap them on and the issue is now not an issue :santa:

Back