• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATi .. or hop to Nvidia?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OkydOky

I don't want any flame wars ect..

I simply need some opinions and advice.

I've been an ATI fan for a long time.. but I am now thinking of hopping over to Nvidia now with my new rig..

I've been Using Linux more and more recently. I will be getting a New rig, hopefully soon, and was wondering if I should go with Nvidia GPus.

In the past, ATI linux drivers have been lagging behind, and it seems they still are from what i've read.

The few games I do play will run on linux, or have Cedega support.
(They are Quake3, World of Warcraft, Neverwinter Nights and hopefully Quake4 :p)

The choice is yours to make.

For the most part, ATI and NVIDIA both have very competitive cards out for this generation....however, ATI's cards have always had lackluster performance under Linux.

If you do most of you're gaming in Linux, then I would personally recommend NVIDIA; if you do more in Windows, then ATI may not be such a bad option.

deception``

The only issue with the change is getting used to the drivers and overclocking apps that are out there with them. I had always gone with ATI and now have GTX's in
SLI. It took me a little while to get used to drivers myself....good luck.

Definatly go nVidia if you're planning on gaming in Linux. I don't know about the performance difference under it, but installing ATI drivers in linux is utter hell (I tried off and on for a month and still haven't managed to get them to work right :()

JigPu

Back