• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech pre-assembled tec cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't have one, but I'll say that it looks about 10X easier than a custom peltier setup. It's insulated, has a cold plate, and the waterblock is a good one...my old peltier setup looked sooo ghetto compared to that. It was a Maze 4 w/ coldblock and a 110W peltier running off a 300W spare PSU cooled by a bong. My insulation job was done after I already dripped water on my parts...I'd say go for it.

yeah I'm planning on getting that actualy, i've checked up on it and it's supposed to work great, so go for it. Also though, I was wondering how much of a difference peltier makes, I always thought it made a huge difference but was just told by a guy at a lan that it only makes about 5 C, I don't think this is true so jjust checking, what do you guys know of how it performs(BTW I will have more than addequate liquid cooling for my new setup)

Thanks

from what i understand, under ideal conditions (good water cooling loop etc etc) that this can produce almost a 50C drop in temps..... thats pretty substantial

MikeyLikesItSI said:
from what i understand, under ideal conditions (good water cooling loop etc etc) that this can produce almost a 50C drop in temps..... thats pretty substantial

from stock heatsink maybe

crimedog said:
from stock heatsink maybe

care to expand on this? i have never used a pelt, so i dunno what temps would be expected, and from your sig you seem to be experienced, so what SHOULD one expect? any ranges to look at? maybe around 0? guessing that stock would be runnin around 50.. unless its a prescott or somethin...

ok, even considering 6xx series with a stock cooler will avg 55-60c at load with maybe a hair of a vcore bump over stock..... so its still pretty significant.

i mean, i'm talkin bang for the buck, and its a lot easier then say phase change, but better then just water cooling.

with a 226w pelt on it's own dedicated loop with a double heatercore i wouldn't expect better than 15-20c load. you also have to consider the fact you need it's own power supply and it draws a ton of power. compare it to normal, good watercooling where you get about 40c load. i think pelts for cpu are a waste of time and effort.

crimedog said:
i think pelts for cpu are a waste of time and effort.

comming from someone with CPU cooling such as yours.... i would assume you'd consider pelts a waste of time for CPU cooling. I'm talkin about the lil guy that would like the edge on water cooling. You trying to tell me that 15-20c drop is worthless? Then why would people make such a big deal out of a 2c drop from lapping IHS?

MikeyLikesItSI said:
No wayyyyyyyy!

A peltier will not be 100% effective on your CPU, so even though the bottom of the cold block will get frosty, your processor won't. I only got my temps about 5 C lower(from my watercooling system after adding the pelt) to about 22 C. So you're not going to get a 50 C improvement in temps unless you're coming from really bad air cooling.

MikeyLikesItSI said:
comming from someone with CPU cooling such as yours.... i would assume you'd consider pelts a waste of time for CPU cooling. I'm talkin about the lil guy that would like the edge on water cooling. You trying to tell me that 15-20c drop is worthless? Then why would people make such a big deal out of a 2c drop from lapping IHS?

but why spend $200 and have a huge power draw to drop 20c when you can spend $400 and drop 80c?

it's not a 15-20c drop, those are the temps i would expect, on load. i do like pelt cooling for video cards, but i don't think it's worthwhile for cpus. people make a "big deal" about lapping helping because it's a free upgrade, but you don't see me posting in those threads.

Adding a data point, I went from about 38°C stock cooling to about 1-3°C with a unpeltiered GPU waterblock in the loop. Under load I would get about 6-8°C for the CPU.

crimedog said:
but why spend $200 and have a huge power draw to drop 20c when you can spend $400 and drop 80c?

Sure, if you don't mind the extra unit sitting next to/below your computer. I've got power supplies that are small enough to fit in my case, and powerful enough to supply the pelt. i think in my case, of not being into extreme extreme cooling, a peltier might be worth a shot. if not, then it goes for sale, but at least i satisfied my curiousity.

Back