• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing my 3700+ please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MBC303

Registered
My San Diego 3700+ does 2500 (at 250x10) completely stable, but when i try 3750+ it fails prime and superpi. I have 2 gigs of crucial ballistix pc4000 so i dont think memory is the problem. I tryed upping the voltage on the ram to 2.8 and the cpu to 1.520, and this did nothing. My cpu temp at load is around 39 degrees so I dont think cooling is a problem. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• oc2.JPG
    oc2.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 130
sorry bout that, its an a8n-E, i'll update my sig. And i'm gonna try lowering my htt multi right after i post this, it was at auto in my bios, but i'll try 3. Won't lowering my htt multi hurt performance tho?

Okay, leave the multi at 3x as any time you are over 250htt it should be there. Your board and cpu may not be able to hit 2750. Not every Sandy can hit that high and some folks are using 1.6 volts to get there. Why not try something more incremental like 2600? Also, have you tested your ram with mentest86? Have you tried loosening your ram timings?

ok quick update, overnight burned the psu in at 250x10 at 1.35volts. It passes mem test at 250x11 and 266x10 but fails superpi and prime on both, no matter the voltage. I have yet to see my cpu rise above 40 degrees. If it runs 250x10 at 1.35 no problem and memory isn't the problem, what is?

that memory is rated for 3-4-4-8. just cuz it passes memtest doesnt mean its gonna jive with ur ondie mem controller.

memtest stability does not equal windows stability.
if you pass memtest then its a starting point and leads one to believe that you at least wont BORK your windows install.

When you get into windows and the memory starts to be accessed and filled its a whole new ball game.

You probably need more voltage man... be careful watch your temps.

ok i just noticed something really weird

in my bios i have it set to 3-4-4-8, but in cpu z it comes up as 2 different setting: 3-3-3-8 and 3-4-4-10 neither of which are what i have them set to in bios.

The other funny thing is I finally got it prime stable at 266x10 at 1.48volts with this weird timing crap, but it still wont do 250x11.

Attachments

• mem1.JPG
    mem1.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 33
  • mem2.JPG
    mem2.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 25
  • mem3.JPG
    mem3.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 24
I'm not really sure why you're trying to jump strait from 2500 to 2750 :confused:
It is typically not a good idea to increase your processor frequency in that kind of a jump. Just because you have good temperatures does not mean that you will be able to overclock it until they are rather high. When I put my 3000+ in my new DFI board, I knew that it was stable at 2600 mhz, so I immediately set it up to 2400 mhz, leaving some room in case the board was no good, but it didn't like that, and it would not pass hardly any test over an extended period. So, I went back to stock and started with small increments, maybe 50 mhz or so. Eventually I worked my way back to 2600 Mhz and beyond, but if I jumped the speed more than 100 Mhz, it was not stable. The only reason I made that kind of a jump was because I knew the processor could handle it, and if this board couldn't handle 266Mhz, it would be the first that I ever heard of it...you don't have that same luxury. There are quite a few people who do not get that kind of speed with San Diegos.

i guess the problem is my board, wow I hate the A8N-E. I'm seriously considering RMAing this thing. Past DDR500 the ram timings aren't adjustable, and the Cpu voltage is restricted to below 1.55. If I could hit 1.58 i'm sure 1750 would work.

I got to 266x10 stable at 1.4625v which is plenty for daily use, and my temperatures are rock solid. But I really wanted to get to 2750. I pass memtest at DDR550 but it wont run at 275x10 or 250x11.

Any suggestions for getting around my lack of voltage?

Increasing the voltage on A64s doesn't help as much as it does on other types of processors. Once you get to a certain point, increasing the voltage simply has very little effect. If you really must try it, check for a place in the bios that allows you to overvolt by a percentage. Something like CPU VID + 104%. I know a lot of boards are like that with the Athlon 64 for whatever reason. Other than that, I would just get a new board. I have nothing but good things to say about this NF4 Ultra-D.

Back