• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gentoo install reporting mirrorselect is not a command

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

I just reach section 6 of the gentoo installation (Im and doing the installation from inside linux) as of right now it tells me to use the command:

mirrorselect -i -o >> /mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf

only problem is when I type that I get the message:
bash: mirrorselect: command not found.

the installtion docs mention about looking in your make.conf doc for mirrors, but I didnt see what to put in my make.conf doc about that. currently my make.conf looks like this:

# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically built this stage
# Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium-m -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS=" -j2"

What what should I add to this so that mirror select works, and if I can't get mirror select to work what should put in, in regards to mirrors. I did read the make.conf example file, however I didnt think it was very clear on this issue.

Thanks a lot
TheGreySpectre

I wouldn't worry about it...you don't really need to do that...I don't.

My guess on the cause would be you chrooted into your new environment before doing this

TheGreySpectre said:
I just reach section 6 of the gentoo installation (Im and doing the installation from inside linux) as of right now it tells me to use the command:

mirrorselect -i -o >> /mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf

only problem is when I type that I get the message:
bash: mirrorselect: command not found.

the installtion docs mention about looking in your make.conf doc for mirrors, but I didnt see what to put in my make.conf doc about that. currently my make.conf looks like this:

# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically built this stage
# Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium-m -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS=" -j2"

What what should I add to this so that mirror select works, and if I can't get mirror select to work what should put in, in regards to mirrors. I did read the make.conf example file, however I didnt think it was very clear on this issue.

Thanks a lot
TheGreySpectre
Since you don't seem to have mirrorselect installed on the live cd, there's nothing you can add to make.conf to "make it work." As was suggested, if you really want to (since you don't need to) try it after chrooting in. If it still doesn't work, emerge mirrorselect, then do it (you may want to bootstrap and emerge system first, though).

It's generally in /sbin or /usr/sbin, which might not be pathed. You might need to type the full path.

Gnufsh said:
If it still doesn't work, emerge mirrorselect, then do it (you may want to bootstrap and emerge system first, though).

Its no longer on the LiveCD, and is not part of a defualt system.

It is not really needed either. In fact, for some reason, I always end up getting slower mirrors when I use it. So I just skip that and everything runs nice and fast for me.

Offtopic: Fishy, I love the comparison of package managers in your sig!

Back