• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible to remote boot with Windows XP Pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigspice

Is this possible? I have a system downstairs on my network that I want to be able to boot from my system upstairs. This would be a PXE boot, right? Do I need to use a server OS or can I do this with XP Pro on both systems?
Thanks

No, this is not something you can do. The only PXE boot functionality for windows is to install it over a network. This requires a server OS. I suppose it would be possible to make a really custom setup and make this happen, but it's not going to without some mad skills.

If I needed to do a diskless PXE boot windows environment, I would use a lightweight linux OS, and a windows terminal server. But even this is something difficult to do. Perhaps you can tell us why you need to boot your second machine over the network?

booting your system from a cold boot state has nothing to do with the OS and would need a wake over lan setup... i imagine you can find what you need for that around google.

The fact that he mentioned PXE probably means that he is talking about a thin-client setup, not something trivial like WOL.

neither one of the systems is a thin client. the system I want to boot is a MCE pc located downstairs. I want to be able to boot that system for maintenance and other tasks without having to walk across the house to physically turn it on. I prefer not to turn it on all the time to save energy. thanks for the link but those programs appear not to work. when I run them they just bring up a DOS window and tell me to press any key; when I do that, they shut down. What am I doing wrong? thanks

do the progs need config files changed or anytihng? liek to specifytheir target or somethin... maybe you could tap into one of the unused pair on the cat5 and extend the on switch :D hehe. thet would be totally ghetto, but effective nonetheless.

You could go for a prodding stick from downstairs through the walls to the on button...

ps2cho said:
You could go for a prodding stick from downstairs through the walls to the on button...

I think I may pass up on this suggestion :D and do the wake on lan thing. I can be sooo lazy with this and having access to cd images over the network.
Technology rocks.

Back