• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heat sink for x2 processor recommendation?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eddie500

Registered
I'm buying a x2-3800 CPU witha DFI LANparty NF4 ultra D motherboard.
I see a lot of people bought the the THERMALRIGHT XP-90C.
I"m looking at the thermalright XP-120.

Is the Xp-120 a better choice then hte xp-90C?

Will the Xp-120 work with this DFI motherboard?

i use an xp120 on my ultra-d and x2 3800+ - its a great combo :) 2.5ghz at 38*c load...and quietish too ;)

Vrykyl said:
i use an xp120 on my ultra-d and x2 3800+ - its a great combo :) 2.5ghz at 38*c load...and quietish too ;)

I didn't realize but Themeralright has a webpage and it says that with this DFI motherboard, the heatsink could potentialy hit your memory sticks if you have a heatsink on them.. which I do.

iv not had a problem with it....i use my ram in the orange slots...xp120 doesnt even come close to touching them...tho I guess it would if i tried to use all 4 slots....

check out the cnps9500, it advertises water cooling performance. downside is the fan is annoying at top speed but still performs well if you undervolt it to a lower speed. ive been pondering buying a new hs its either the zalman or the thermalright that was already mentioned.

XP90 hands down. with a Panaflow fan.

the XP90C "sounds" like it would be better. but look anywhere and youll see the difference is mostly 1-2 degrees.

the XP120, costs a little more and its harder to fit in your motherboard. again, cooling difference is minimal.

look around, youll see the XP90 is everywhere.

Anyone recommend the Thermaltake Sonic Tower? One of the best heatsinks out there, especially when people pair it with 2-3 fans on it...

These low temps with air coolers that all of you are getting are just plain nuts. Pfft, I'm used to seeing people say that 50c, 55c on air isn't bad :p (with prescotts, anyways.)

With such low temps, it makes me wonder- is there a huge benefit from watercooling an A64? (performance wise,) or do most AMD watercoolers just do it for the (potential) noise reduction?

Chaos_Being said:
These low temps with air coolers that all of you are getting are just plain nuts. Pfft, I'm used to seeing people say that 50c, 55c on air isn't bad :p (with prescotts, anyways.)

With such low temps, it makes me wonder- is there a huge benefit from watercooling an A64? (performance wise,) or do most AMD watercoolers just do it for the (potential) noise reduction?

I wonder myself LOL, as my water cooling setup is not quiet at all, I.E. 4 fans 2 of them deltas at full speed, i am usually wearing headphones so I dont care to much and just undervolt them when I am not. With my X2 and my setup, no matter what i do, my mother board show 50-60c load temps, putting a fan in that area has made temps drop significantly ie 10c so i am thinking my motherboard just sucks for temp reporting and am getting used to its in accuracies. I just dont like not knowing where my temps are.

RAH!, 40*C full load at 1.5Vcore 3800+X2 270x10. Ofcourse im cheating with I guess you could call it chilled air. Yeah cut off the AC and it soars up to round 55-60 with the pitiful little fan I got on my XP90C.

As has been mentioned before, a tower style heatsink isn't really ideal, especially for an X2. The components around the CPU socket on the motherboard get very stressed with a dual-core processor and need a fan blowing down on them, so unless you want to add another fan specifically to cool the board, I'd recommend the Thermalrights.

Tomatosaurus[RE said:
My heatsink can be run without a fan at all. :) Even thought it wasnt intended to do so(I think).

Mine too ;)
My temps with no fan under full load= 41-42c
X2's are sweet!

Chaos_Being said:

Yup noise for me. You can't hear my comp period since those normally high RPM video and CPU fans are done away with and heat is offloaded to two slow moving 120mm fans.

Original poster:

I would prolly get the Typhoon from thermaltake or XP120 from thermal right.. Both are poor mans watercooling with excellent results.

Back