• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Speed for SLI/Crossfire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thedoc

All,

I guess with the arrival of SLI and Crossfire it is a question worth asking and discussing.. Exactly how fast does you CPU need to be to not be a massive bottle neck for SLI/Crossfire.

Realistically do you need to be running at 4Ghz or is this not enough, can only the latest AMD FX57 really run happily with these dual card systems ?

Opinions please

tbh id have said unless you have a massive monitor or your addicted to benchmarks theres no real point having crossfire/sli at all - my rig runs everything i throw at it at 1600x1200 AAx4 AFx8 quite happily.
When it comes down to dual graphics card even an fx57 is a bottleneck...so the faster the cpu you can manage the better.

thedoc said:
All,

I guess with the arrival of SLI and Crossfire it is a question worth asking and discussing.. Exactly how fast does you CPU need to be to not be a massive bottle neck for SLI/Crossfire.

Realistically do you need to be running at 4Ghz or is this not enough, can only the latest AMD FX57 really run happily with these dual card systems ?

Opinions please

mate even an overclocked FX57 is CPU limited i mean we just have two bad boy GPU's in which these cpu can't handle

Blackmage said:
mate even an overclocked FX57 is CPU limited i mean we just have two bad boy GPU's in which these cpu can't handle

seems like a bit of a waste of money based on the present CPU's availible, which is good news for my wallet !

Back