• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI LANparty DR SLI =/= X2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkPurity

In another thread located here, I posted issues involving my rig in my sig and how hot it's now running at stock speeds. Well, I called AMD and here's the results I got from their tech support.

The AMD technician told me that while my ungodly core0 temp of 71c was certainly a disturbing sign of what's going on in the processor, AMD has also recieved more complaints and tech issues on the DFI NF4 LANParty DR SLI and SLI UT variant than any other board in regards to the X2 and FX processors. He said at first they thought it was just because the board is so popular, but after some testing within the company they found that the board itself, while being fine for the normal 64's, is the cause of several issues with their higher-end processors.

Apparently, the board's candy is to blame. He said that the DFI LANParty's extra utilities on its own were fine, and the accessories on the board were fine, but combined they required both of the extra 12v molexes from the power supply to be plugged in for the board to be totally stable. He said between that and the fact that the "auto" motherboard setting usually actually supplies too much voltage, they've had issues left and right. That's part of why DFI isn't on their list of recommended motherboards.

He said if I can test my X2 in another computer with a different mobo, I should, because that will tell me if it's the mobo or the processor causing the issue, but that my Core 0 processor is running above the maximum safe temp just running Windows. He also said that AMD will go ahead and RMA the processor if I still have everything with it, and they typically only refuse RMAs if the processor is totally cooked with an obvious OC or has obvious signs of abuse. He said it's likely the motherboard, because if it were the processor causing those temps, it shouldn't even POST.

To test, he suggested:

1. Take vCore off of Auto and set it to 1.33v manually
2. Failing that, try putting it in another mobo
3. Try unplugging a 12v "extra" molex from the mobo.

Of course, he warned me in the future to use boards from the recommended list. That list is availible for X2 4400's here.

He suggested if the board turns out to be the issue, I should sell it, because the board isn't broken. It just doesn't jive with the X2 and FX series, which is why DFI updates their drivers for those processors every week or two.

Edit: He also stressed that this seems to be a "luck" issue with this motherboard.

Last edited:
based on personal experience id have to agree - im on my 4th ultra-d board now and all have been horrible...im desperate to find a decent clocking mobo for my x2 now...id get an asus a8n sli-premium but the heatpipe on it doesnt work in a v2000 case (inverted layout)...

Interesting...I've been doing a bit of research on AMD cpu and motherboard combos, and have seen a lot of praise for the DFI mobos- and probably an equal amount of hate. I guess this clears things up a bit, eh?

The A8N-SLI Premium looks pretty good, imo.

I couldn't be happier with my DFI/X2 Combo, worked perfect out of the box and was very easy to tweak.

I guess it's all the luck of the draw...

Good thing you got that response, I was thinking about going to that board. Maybe now I will go with the MSI NEO4 Platinum SLI.

I have built 5 machines including my own with the DFI ultra-d, and another this weekend will be going together for my girlfriend.

All I can say is ITS THE BEST MOBO I EVER TOUCHED...

that dude from AMD is an ***

If you have a CPU temp of 71C then it may be the HEAT causing instability perhaps ?

I have to laugh at AMD's irresponsible reaction.
The first venice chip I bought was shipped with a factory defect and worked for 2 days. When I rma'ed it, I was also asked what kind of mainboard it was used in, and subsequently told the same bogus response by a minimum wage disgruntled cow. "That board does not appear on the recommended mobo list."
Then I was read the riot act and was interrogated for another 15 minutes concerning whether or not all the serial numbers on the chip, barcodes and box matched up, what qualifies me to troubleshoot the chip, what methods were used, and why I have come to the conclusion that it was a defective CPU.
I got the replacement chip 3 or 4 weeks later, which worked fine, but the unprofessional attitude of the agent on the phone, and the 'script' they are reading from sucks.

If you think the DFI boards have problems just try getting any help from their "support site" Dfi-street. What a joke that site is. Can you imagine buying a new board and needing support, only to be directed to a forum where you are told to read hundreds of post to find your own answer? If this was stated to the consumer up front I think this would directly impact sales. I understand that the moderators are busy trying to give away "toaster signatures" and sell mousepads and other very important support issues but it just seems like a highschool club to me. It would be nice if DFI could do a few random posts every now and again for QA to see how their clients are being treated....

well most of the problems can be avoided if you know what your doing, it is not a plug and play board to say the least.

Would you buy any product not knowing how to use it, bring home plug it in or whatever and then return and say its busted cuz you dont know how to us it ? :rolleyes:

Rattle said:
I have built 5 machines including my own with the DFI ultra-d, and another this weekend will be going together for my girlfriend.

All I can say is ITS THE BEST MOBO I EVER TOUCHED...

that dude from AMD is an ***

If you have a CPU temp of 71C then it may be the HEAT causing instability perhaps ?

The task here was to find what was causing the heat.

And I found it.

It is, indeed, the motherboard. After a couple of hours sitting around with a meter and trying various combinations, I got more accurate temps.

The monitor sockets are labelled incorrectly. CPU 2 is actually the motherboard processor, core 1 is not detected properly by the bios for temp monitoring purposes, and Core 0 is the only one measured. It also uses a diode to monitor CPU temps which screws with most 3rd party monitoring software. Not only that, but many of the boards do indeed read voltage wrong: my motherboard was "auto" ing 1.56v to the core. After tweaking and such, I found my CPUs together load 2.42ghz at around 45c, idle 37c on stock cooling.

I personally do not recommend this motherboard if you're going SLI with large cards like the 7800GTX, or if you want something that goes together easily. The poor location of the motherboard's processor (your graphics cards sit on it) causes it to heat horribly, usually staying around 60c. Overclocking a large PCI-E card on this board, especially in SLI, can be pretty much ruled out. Next time, I'm going Asus. I've tried several combinations to try to get my processor to cross the 2.5ghz barrier but every mathematical combination fails, and at this point I'm convinced it's the motherboard having a heat issue.

DarkPurity said:
The task here was to find what was causing the heat.

And I found it.

It is, indeed, the motherboard. After a couple of hours sitting around with a meter and trying various combinations, I got more accurate temps.

The monitor sockets are labelled incorrectly. CPU 2 is actually the motherboard processor, core 1 is not detected properly by the bios for temp monitoring purposes, and Core 0 is the only one measured. It also uses a diode to monitor CPU temps which screws with most 3rd party monitoring software. Not only that, but many of the boards do indeed read voltage wrong: my motherboard was "auto" ing 1.56v to the core. After tweaking and such, I found my CPUs together load 2.42ghz at around 45c, idle 37c on stock cooling.

I personally do not recommend this motherboard if you're going SLI with large cards like the 7800GTX, or if you want something that goes together easily. The poor location of the motherboard's processor (your graphics cards sit on it) causes it to heat horribly, usually staying around 60c. Overclocking a large PCI-E card on this board, especially in SLI, can be pretty much ruled out. Next time, I'm going Asus. I've tried several combinations to try to get my processor to cross the 2.5ghz barrier but every mathematical combination fails, and at this point I'm convinced it's the motherboard having a heat issue.

Your quite misinformed my friend, ALL amd64 motherboards are not plug in play. when you build a machine, its YOUR job to go in the bios and see what things are "autoing" at not DFI's, ASUS' or anyone elses.

Also with a good case and planned course of action with air cooling you will not have a problem, I'm completey on air and my CPU maxes out at 42C, my chipset at 45C and thats with a 7800gtx on top of it.

You can ask questions if you need help with the board man, its OK really, I researched for a while before I jumped in and lots of folks here helps me.

Just thought i'd pop in to say that the last 3 high end AMD chips i have had (two FX55's and this current X2 4800) have had SHOCKINGLY bad connections between the core and IHS. Ive removed the IHS from each one and temps have dropped 10-12degrees! So AMD want to put their own house in order before bashing others.

DarkPurity - what bios were you using? Was it one that supports X2?

FWIW my 4800 is running 24x7 at 2800mhz on 1.44volts on a quiet watercooling system, and when priming both cores i get cpu@38, pwmic@48 chipset@38.

Rattle said:
Your quite misinformed my friend, ALL amd64 motherboards are not plug in play. when you build a machine, its YOUR job to go in the bios and see what things are "autoing" at not DFI's, ASUS' or anyone elses.

Also with a good case and planned course of action with air cooling you will not have a problem, I'm completey on air and my CPU maxes out at 42C, my chipset at 45C and thats with a 7800gtx on top of it.

You can ask questions if you need help with the board man, its OK really, I researched for a while before I jumped in and lots of folks here helps me.

Misinformed? I never said the DFI would be plug and play, and I'm using the latest BIOS, but harrassing the hell out of DFI got me some answers.

I have a great case with decent aircooling, but when you put two 7800GTX's in SLI, you essentially make a heatpipe that passes across the motherboard processor. This is especially true when using a side intake fan. It's a layout issue.

Saving money to go watercooling instead.

I still think that you either have a defective processor or chip. Maybe not 100% defective but something. Maybe even the heatsensor on your chip or motherboard is bunk and isn't telling your fans to run at the right speeds or something.

I don't see how cards in SLI are going to make a huge heat pipe over the CPU.

I mean I know heat rises and yes the pci slots are pretty close to the processor heatsink (especially on mine using a SI-120) but the graphics cards fans point down and the fans/heatsinks on the 7800's blow the air back toward the front of the case, not really up onto the processor.

I only have a single 7800GT but i'm oc'ing it pretty decently, core +75mhz, memory +150mhz and the graphics card gets TOPS to 43C... It has no effect at all on my CPU which i'm overclocking to 2.7ghz and the fans are on medium most of the time, hotest it gets is 37C if i'm maxing it 100% for a few hours.

Not the CPU, the Southbridge. It sits directly under the back end of the video cards; they literally rest against it.

Like I said you need you need to move the air around better, my bro has basically the same setup as me with 2 7800's and he never goes over 45C either.

Captain Newbie said:
Which is, as said above, a joke. DFI != "Design for Innovation" or whatever...it's "Designed for inconsistency".

DFI-Street is not bad man, cut them some slack, if you had thousands of people that dont know anything about computers buying a DFI and then knocking on your door all day and night how would you handle it ?

Hahahahaha, you guys..... LOL
these boards are designed for the enthusiast, and experienced overclockers
expect to do a lot of reading to know how to set them up correctly, they have more tweaking options than your average crap that ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI et al try to force feed the masses

DFI street is amazing for the wealth of information, all you've been asked to do is a quick search for your problem before posting the same problems for the thousanth time

what BIOS version are you using in that board?
and what are you using to monitor the temps?

Back