• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu burn-ins

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thegrouch

ive heard alot of things over the years but im wondering if there is a definitive way to burn in your proc. ive had mine for a month is it too late to try. And what does "burning" in actually do to the processor, other than set the thermal paste.

reason i ask is im having trouble getting my second core stable at 250*10 on prime 95. vcore = 1.35. i know i could raise the vcore but im trying to avoid the thermal gains involved with that

There seem to be a few different schools of thought on this, and the more CPU or overall knowledge one has doesnt necessarily lend to a deeper understanding of the process in my experience, as many have admitted that the "science" of it is is difficult to pin down. One of the reasons that has been given for the seemingly large array of processes of burn-ins vs results is that silicon semiconductors vary widely and are about as unique as fingerprints, so to speak.

I had a lot of luck with this guide: http://www.xoxideforums.com/showpost.php?p=672936&postcount=1

There are many out there, but this dummied-down guide worked great for me.

hrmm ive had my processor for about almost 3 years could i still try to "burn in my processor?

you could do, But I doubt you will get any increase out of it, Like my CPu for example, NO increase from my burn in

It worked good for me. Just followed Sen's guide. Got my vcore from kinda unstable at 1.65 to 1.55 stable.

i wonder how burning in actually works. if you think about it, to get a change in responsiveness to voltage, something would have to physically change in the proc...

I have tried the burn in and it works. I had my proc for a year and a half before I tried it, but after doing so I gained about 200mhz while lowering the vcore by .05v.

I am really curious to see if this works. I have heard things going both ways regarding this. I have been burning in my cpu for the past couple days, so far I have seen a little increase but not much. I guess only time will tell right...lol

Has not worked on one single processor I have ever owned........The only thing I noticed is it made the same clocks more stable at a slightly lower vcore but only for a short while.

obsolete said:
Has not worked on one single processor I have ever owned........The only thing I noticed is it made the same clocks more stable at a slightly lower vcore but only for a short while.

I think its like overclocking, not all CPU can overclock great. Also did you follow the instructions ? I burn in for 12 hrs then lowering vcore by .05 and repeat then once its not stable anymore I raise vcore by .05 and start to overclock.

p|astic said:
i wonder how burning in actually works. if you think about it, to get a change in responsiveness to voltage, something would have to physically change in the proc...

I speculate the relatively long time at high temperature allows impurities to diffuse to a location where they do less harm to the processor. How this actually occurs, I'll have to think about. Then again, it may do nothing all.

lower voltages=longer life=lower temperatures=possibly higher overclocks...why not try it? what else do you have to lose, there are no negatives associated with it..hmm

InfiniteThought said:
I speculate the relatively long time at high temperature allows impurities to diffuse to a location where they do less harm to the processor. How this actually occurs, I'll have to think about. Then again, it may do nothing all.
Was actually thinking similarly. Perhaps when the transistors are under a lot of stress (High heat, not enough voltage), the "good" silicon can distribute in a way that positively affects the entire chip.

All I know is that it helped my Venice a bit. I notice that it can clock abnormally high at stock volts (2.65GHz). Then when I approach the "wall" (Which seems to be 2.85GHz), I have to seemingly increase my voltage exponentially.
:)

lower voltages=longer life=lower temperatures=possibly higher overclocks...why not try it? what else do you have to lose, there are no negatives associated with it..hmm

good point, im doint this with my 4400+ and ive seen improvement of .05v in just the first few days (250*10 @ 14.5 -> 1.4 prime stable).

high volts can only be bad for your cpu. the way i think about it is its sort of like those ******* old laptop batteries that would loose their ability to hold power if you kept it plugged into the wall all the time. and if you started to unplug it and let the battery kill itself it would bring back some life.

Hc000 said:
I think its like overclocking, not all CPU can overclock great. Also did you follow the instructions ? I burn in for 12 hrs then lowering vcore by .05 and repeat then once its not stable anymore I raise vcore by .05 and start to overclock.

Yes, after finding my own methods were not doing much of anything. I tried to do it that way & no dice. Maybe it does work for some but all I'm saying is in the different 10+ procs I've used it did nothing other then waste CPU cycles.

the same here tested in a ton of cpu but never worked
the only cpu who showed improuvment was a winshester 3000+ first time it was clocked @2500mhz with 1.65 vcore(max prime stable) but over time i figured that it was stable @2550 then @ 2600mhz with the same ammount of vcore .
i have not tested it enough to get a final result just solded it and get my little venice. between in my venice burn in no work but this maybe due to the core itself
more voltage and burning not help a lot

Back