• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OpenGL Gentoo...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WingsofGOD

Is there something special you have to do in Gentoo to make the gfx drivers work properly? I did the usual downloading from nvidia and installing them manually. My gaming sucks, more like im on a mmx440 than a 6600GT

Tried using the emerge nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx... wouldn't even start X that way. Complained about not finding the driver.. Ran Modules-update and i could then modprobe it to load. X still said it couldnt find it.

Whats the trick...

Post the errors that you get when you emerge nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel.

There where no error's when emerging the modules...

But i did manage to figgure it out. Hadn't yet rebooted to the new kernel i had compiled, and it was screwing with nvidia...

I am thinking that the lack luster performance using the nvidia installer was due to it using xorg's libgl libraries instead of the nvidia libgl's....

While we're at it, why does emerge install a really old version of the nvidia drivers 1.0-6629 ?

Because you are set to the stable branch apparently. If you want the more recent drivers, use the ~x86 keyword.

What do you get when you run glxgears (fps)?

I just noticed some REALLY weird behavior. glxgears seems to get around 7200 fps on my 5900. However, if I background the app by clicking on other windows so it's not visible, the fps shoots up to over 13000. Why is that? Same thing happens on my 6600.

WingsofGOD said:
There where no error's when emerging the modules...

But i did manage to figgure it out. Hadn't yet rebooted to the new kernel i had compiled, and it was screwing with nvidia...
Yeah, the nvidia module compiles against whatever is in /usr/src/linux, so the module will only work with that kernel version. If it's different than the one you're running, it won't load.

I am thinking that the lack luster performance using the nvidia installer was due to it using xorg's libgl libraries instead of the nvidia libgl's....
Don't know. With the drivers in portage, you can switch between the two and check the performance difference (using opengl-update or eselect opengl).

While we're at it, why does emerge install a really old version of the nvidia drivers 1.0-6629 ?
Yes, but you can:
Code:
echo "media-video/nvidia-kernel ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
echo "media-video/nvidia-glx ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
to have portage grab the latest version instead.

MRD said:
I just noticed some REALLY weird behavior. glxgears seems to get around 7200 fps on my 5900. However, if I background the app by clicking on other windows so it's not visible, the fps shoots up to over 13000. Why is that? Same thing happens on my 6600.
It always does that, I guess because it does not actually have to show you drawing them when you can't see it. :p

I appreciate everyones help on this issue. Thanks to all the input it has been resolved. Running smooth as silk now.

Back