• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

finished product - modded radeon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quizno

well, finished modding my radeon 64mb ddr vivo last night. all in all it cost me about $5, and so far ive gotten it up to 246/246.....im gonna see just how high i can get it tonight. well, heres a few pics(sorry if they aint top quality, i used a camcorder and took screenshots):

front:
front2.JPG

back:
back2.JPG

and top:
top2.JPG

Pretty cool..

What did you use to hold the ram sinks on?

The reason I'm asking is I have some DDR ram sinks left over and was thinking of cutting them up then putting them on my video card.

246?

Please post some pics to prove this. I have never seen a Radeon do a 33% overclock and run anywhere near stable, or even boot for that matter.

I have better cooling on my Radeon and I can't break 220.

Kingslayer

Tell me how to do a screen shot (screen shot of powersrtip with the setting or some other screenshot showing the settings ?, kinda a newbie to this LOL) , cause I am running at 216/216 right now and I just finished played UT for about 25 minutes. I have not touched cooling on the card and I got no artifacts of any sort. My card is a second edition retail box with 198/198 stock setting.

All I did was set it to 216/216 and away I went I am sure it will do over 220, Pinky is at 234/234 but I do not know if he has modded cooling in any way.

Cisco Kid:)

remember im using a radeon 64mb ddr SE, which comes stock 198/198 with 5ns ram. so that oc is actually about a 25% oc.

it runs stable for me, heres a pic(used power strip's adapter info thingy, any other software do this? sisoft?):

radeon.JPG

cisco: to take a screenshot, just press print screen and to take a shot of the active window press alt+print screen. print screen button is on the top/right of the keyboard, beside the scroll lock. then open up ms paint, go edit-paste then save as JPG.

also, i think pinky is at 234/234 with stock cooling.

Any idea what 3dmark2001 score increased by over stock 198/198

How much improvement in points did you get over stock 198/198 in 3dmark2001?? Any idea I am curious.

Here are some questions for you. If I was to just remove the gpu fan and replece with a global win fop32 fan would this help or should I replace heatsink as well if I do this. 2nd did you use the freezer trick to remove heatsink? 3rd do you think the ram sinks make a diff, do you think you would have got the same overclock without them.

Also btw when I returned my card and got a SE model my exchange receipt is dated OCT 6 but it does not have the original purchase date and now ATI has a mail in rebate as of Oct 1st for $75 Canadian on the 64 ddr so I am applying for it, I showed my receipt to the staff and they said I can get the rebate , LOL so the card will have cost me $175 canadian plus tax a super sweet deal.

I think I will modify my card as you have done just for the fun plus it looks cool.

GREAT JOB!!

Cisco Kid:D

Question

Quizno,

How far did you take your card before the mod? I just got finished playing UT for about 20 minutes with my card clocked to 220.5/220.5 and all was fine no artifacting or video problems. That should have been long enough for the card to become quirky if the overclock was to much right?? I am surprised, now I am more interested in the modification, because more is better.

How high have you got and whats a good test for video stabiltiy , 3dmark2001??

cisco Kid:D

i just saw that rebate deal, damn that ****es me off! my reciept is dated the 27th of sept!!!!! im seriously considering just buying one from staples or something, photocopying the receipt and sending it in with my UPC, then return the unopened card to staples......$75 is a lot right now!

anyways, at stock i got around 2700 marks, now im just topping 3000....so its a hefty increase. once i install my new psu i can bump my cpu back up to 1050mhz and well see what that does:)

i wouldnt just replace the fan, cuz the sink on it doesnt even look like a hs.....whats on the core is just a flat piece of alu. i just replaced it with an old 486 hs and a socket7 fan.

i never really tested ocing before the mod, probably should have. but from what i hear ramsinks do help.....and ocing the ram gives the best results. i know i couldnt put my finger on those ramchips for more than 5 seconds before it started to burn.

speaking of deals, through a pricematch with atic and a $75USD mail in rebate you can get a 60gb wd caviar 7200rpm HD for about $102 plus tax canadian......im definately going for it:) offer ends on the 30th.

Price match with Futureshop?

Looks like I am gonna perform the mod to my card I think and yep I would do the same with the card if I were you I know the rebate will work for me casue it does not say anything about an exchange on my receipt

Thanks for the info, for the WD drive are you meaning price match with Futureshop??? If so I am gonna do the same , what are your thoughts if I would like to run raid 0 with the 60 gig 7200 RPM WD drive and my current 60 gig 7200 RPM Maxtor drive?? I know they are different mods but they are the same size and transfer rates should be close, see any major probs??

Kingslayer said:
246?

Please post some pics to prove this. I have never seen a Radeon do a 33% overclock and run anywhere near stable, or even boot for that matter.

Mine will do 240 with some artifacting and no mods.

The new radeons are sweet machines :D.

Kingslayer said:
246?

my LE can do 200mhz, which is about 35% oc. (148 stock)

MaX PowerZ said:
I just installed winxp last night,here is my 3dmark2001 score with my radeon oc'ed to 195,much higher than i got with win2000

What was your score with 2k installed and what radeon are you using?

Re: Price match with Futureshop?

Cisco Kid said:

Thanks for the info, for the WD drive are you meaning price match with Futureshop??? If so I am gonna do the same , what are your thoughts if I would like to run raid 0 with the 60 gig 7200 RPM WD drive and my current 60 gig 7200 RPM Maxtor drive?? I know they are different mods but they are the same size and transfer rates should be close, see any major probs??

i mean pricematch to $212, then wait 6-8wks for a (about)$115cdn rebate....end price is $100(about).

from all ive read about raid, i dont think that would be any problem....most restrictions are based on size/speed....brand shouldnt make a difference......but then again ive never used a raid config, so i may be wrong.

Back